EndNote is the reference management software recommended by Library Services for use by research students (MRes, PhD etc.), researchers, and academic members of staff. EndNote enables you to build your own library of references by importing records from a number of databases and services. With a range of different referencing styles on offer, EndNote also enables you to insert citations and build reference lists within a Microsoft Word document.
Getting the EndNote software
The EndNote software made available for download is often referred to as EndNote Desktop because the software is saved on the hard drive of your PC and laptop rather than being web-based. Please see the below advice regarding which generation of the EndNote software to download, depending on whether you are a Windows or Mac user. For further support with obtaining the software:
To download a copy
For Windows Users
EndNote 20 is the current version of the software available, and replaced EndNote X9 in October 2020.
- University staff can download the EndNote 20 software from the Software Centre on their university laptop or PC. This can usually be found by going to the Start menu, and the Desktop Management folder.
- University students can download the EndNote 20 software from mySoftware.
For Mac Users
EndNote X9 remains the current version of the software available, and can be downloaded from mySoftware. A release date for the Mac version of EndNote 20 is yet to be confirmed.
Mac users are advised to read this article regarding compatibility with macOS Catalina.
Training and Support
For the 2020/21 academic year, the Research Skills Team are providing their training online. Details of the training and support provision for EndNote X9 is as follows:
EndNote Canvas course
A self-enrol Canvas course course providing introductory teaching on how to:
- Create an EndNote library and import references.
- Personalise an EndNote library by using Groups to organise your references.
- Find and attach full-text to references within your EndNote library.
- Insert citations and generate reference lists/bibliographies in a specific referencing style within Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
- Sync your EndNote Desktop library with EndNote Online to manage your references from multiple devices and locations.
- Access the help and support provided by Clarivate.
A new Canvas course for EndNote 20 is currently under development and will be released in due course. In the meantime, anyone seeking detailed guidance on the use of EndNote 20 is encouraged to watch our Introduction to EndNote 20 video (duration 14:22), consult Clarivate’s EndNote 20 LibGuide page, which contains Quick Reference Guides to help with getting started, or watch the EndNote 20 (Windows) essential features playlist on the Clarivate EndNote YouTube channel.
EndNote X9 course notes
To learn both introductory and more advanced EndNote skills, download the detailed EndNote X9 Course Notes and Exercises (PC version) for further self-guided support:
Please note: course notes for EndNote 20 are currently under development and will be released in due course.