Overseas exams


Please note, overseas exams are not available to students going on holiday or working overseas. For eligible students, only re-sit exams can be held overseas. First sittings of exams need to be taken at the University of Birmingham.

International and EU students

You may be permitted to take supplementary assessments in your home country, if you are classified as ‘overseas for fee purposes’ or are an EU student who is a resident of a country outside the UK.

Overseas sittings are subject to approval by your School or Department and cannot be guaranteed. Only on campus based exams can be taken at an approved Overseas venue. For example it is not possible to take an online exam in an approved Overseas venue. If you are unsure if your resit exam is campus based or online please check the relevant module Canvas page first for information and if this information is not provided please contact your school office.

Please follow the Arranging Overseas Exams procedure below.

Erasmus and other exchange programmes

If you are on Erasmus or another exchange programme and are required to sit an exam after returning to your country of study, please contact your School or department at the University of Birmingham, who may be able to liaise with your home University. If arrangements cannot be made, you will need to return to the University of Birmingham to sit your exams.

Arranging Overseas Exams


Please submit your completed application form and pay your administration fee by the following deadlines:

  • January Exams: Date to be released in due course.
  • Main Summer Exams: Date to be released in due course.
  • Supplementary Exams: Monday 11th July 2022.


An administration fee of £100 is payable to the University of Birmingham per application (it is a set fee of £100 and it is not £100 per exam). Please pay the fee via the University’s online shop. If the application is rejected your £100 administration fee will be refunded.

Overseas venues may charge your for their services, such as courier delivery and staff costs. You will be responsible for paying any fees or charges imposed by the overseas venue. For more information, please contact the overseas venue.


  1. Find an overseas venue:
    • In the first instance, please contact the British Embassy/Council in your home country and ask them if you can sit your exam in the Embassy/Council building. Find your local British Council.
    • If the British Council cannot accommodate your exam sitting please contact alternative venues where the security of the University’s exam procedures are not compromised. For example, universities or professional exam services.
  2. Complete the Request for Exams to be held overseas form using the details of the venue nominated by the exam office.
  3. Pay the £100 administration fee via the University of Birmingham’s online shop.
  4. The exam office will then contact the venues you have confirmed and will nominate the most appropriate venue. If an appropriate venue cannot be found, you will need to return to the University of Birmingham to complete your exams.
  5. Once the Examination Office has received your form and administration fee, we will contact your School/Department to inform them of your request.
  6. You will be notified if your application has been provisionally accepted or rejected once all checks have been completed.  Please note this can take time to process and the earliest you will hear if you have been accepted or rejected will not be until after the deadline for applications has passed.  Please be patient during this time.

If the application is rejected your £100 administration fee will be refunded. You will need to return to the University of Birmingham to sit your exams.

If your application has been provisionally accepted, final exam arrangements will be confirmed in writing once the final exam timetable has been released.

Was this page useful?

  • Feedback and suggestions
    We would like to know if the exam intranet pages are useful to you
  • Was this page useful?
  • Have you found all the exam information you were looking for?



Professional Services