Academic Appeals

If you would like to submit an Academic Appeal, you should first read the Code of Practice on Academic Appeals Procedures. In particular you should pay careful attention to Section 4.3 'Grounds for Appeal'. You will then need to complete a submission form, paying careful attention to the guidance notes.

For the relevant forms and Code of Practice, please select from the links below:

Before completing the form you should carefully read the student's written submission guidance notes containing frequently asked questions. If you have received a graduatable award (e.g. an Undergraduate Bachelors/Masters, Postgraduate Masters or Doctoral Level qualification) and are appealing the outcome/classification please make sure to read the guidance (point 18) in the FAQ below relating to graduation.

Academic Appeals - New Academic Teaching Year (NATY)

Can I appeal after the January assessment period?

You can only appeal against a progress decision or award that has been confirmed by the Board of Examiners.  Normally Boards of Examiners meetings will not take place until the end of the academic year, after the summer assessment period.  Until that point, the marks from your January assessments will be provisional, and your progress decison or award will not have been confirmed.

Appeal Forms for Download

Please find the correct appeal form for your programme below. You can also download the help-sheet for guidance on how to complete an appeal form here: Guidance for completing the Academic Appeal Form (PDF - 255KB) 

Taught students' appeal form (Undergraduate and Postgraudate Taught):

Research students' appeal form (MRes/PhD):

Further information

Students reading

Sources of help and advice

The Complaints and Appeals team would advise students to seek advice from Guild Advice at the Guild of Students when submitting an appeal.  Further information from Guild Advice can be found here.


Professional Services