Programme Transfers

If you wish to transfer your registration, for example from full time to part time, to/from split location, upgrade from masters to doctoral, or to another School in the University, you should discuss this with your supervisor at the earliest opportunity.

If your request is approved, the Research Student Administration (RSA) team will need to be informed so that your University record can be updated and your registration dates and tuition fees reviewed and if necessary amended to reflect the length of your new programme.  

A programme transfer form will need to be submitted to the RSA team to enable the transfer to be processed. The RSA team will send you a confirmation email once the transfer has been actioned.

You will not be permitted to transfer between modes of study (e.g. full-time to part-time) once you have proceeded to the thesis awaited stage.

If you are transferring to a Distance Learning or Split Location programme you will also need to complete the relevant checklist below and submit this with your application:

Distance Learning Checklist (Word - 75KB)

Split Location Checklist (Word - 77KB)

International Postgraduate Researchers

If you are an international postgraduate researcher, a copy of your current visa and passport will need to be submitted with the Transfer of Degree Programme request form in order for the end date of your visa to be checked against the end date for your new programme.

If you are an international student who requires a visa to study in the UK, you are advised to contact the International Student Team (IST) as changing courses may affect your visa. Further information can be found of the IST programme transfer webpages and you can contact IST via the Student Help webpages.



If your new programme is ATAS attracting, you will need to obtain a new ATAS certificate before the transfer can be processed (even if you have ATAS for your existing programme). For further information on ATAS please see the International Student Team (IST) ATAS web pages.

Before applying for your new ATAS certificate, you must submit an online enquiry to request an ATAS research area statement to support your application.

An ATAS application that contains information which does not exactly match the details held by the University may lead to delays and you may be required to submit a fresh ATAS application.



Professional Services