Progress reviews

Why do we review your progress?

The University places great importance on helping you to complete your research degree programme within your maximum period of registration. For international PGRs, the University is legally required under the Home Office’s Points Based System (PBS), to notify them of international students who fail to fully register or who are absent for a prolonged period without authorisation.

Also, by monitoring progress throughout your time at the University we are able to identify any areas of difficulty you are having and help support you to overcome these.

How and when?

In addition to the supervision meetings that you have with your supervisor the University has formal methods of tracking your progress. Each College/School has their own requirements for progress monitoring so make sure that you are aware of these local requirements.

Currently the University recommends the following two forms for structured progress monitoring:

BIRMS PGR Management System

The BIRMS PGR Management System has been developed to provide electronic functionality for the management of the paperwork and processes surrounding postgraduate researcher degree registrations. PGRs and supervisors are now able to:

  • upload, email, comment on and approve Development Needs Analysis and the Personal Development Plan
  • upload, email, comment on and approve records of monthly supervision meetings

Access to the BIRMS PGR Management System for PGRs is via the Student Portal.

You are encouraged to speak with your supervisor regarding use of the BIRMS PGR Management System for recording your monthly supervision meetings.

If you don’t make satisfactory progress

Persistent neglect of work and failure to achieve a satisfactory academic standard may result in a postgraduate researcher being required to withdraw from the University. The University reserves the right to terminate the registration and programme of study of PGRs who are found to be making unsatisfactory progress.

Manage your own progress

An important part of your degree is recognising areas where you need to develop your skills. The University Graduate School Development  Needs Analysis is designed to help guide you through this process and allow you to, with the support of your supervisor, produce a personal development plan.

At the beginning of the year you should use this form to create a matrix to help you decide what skills you need to develop, how urgent it is, what (if any) action you plan to take and when you plan to do this. This will enable you to assess what skills you already have, those which you need and those which need some additional practice.

If you fall ill during your studies

If illness or personal difficulties of sufficient gravity are causing you difficulties then it is possible to request a leave of absence from your degree.

To find out more about progress monitoring contact your School or the University Graduate School.

  • Contact the University Graduate School


Professional Services