Before you can graduate
You will not be permitted to graduate at a degree congregation of this University until:
- Corrections/revisions to your thesis have been made and certified as satisfactory by the appropriate examiners.
- One hard bound copy of the final thesis, which must be hard bound in accordance with University requirements as set out in the Guide to Presenting your Thesis, has been submitted. This is not applicable to MRes programmes.
- An electronic copy of your thesis submitted to Library Services. This is not applicable to MRes programmes.
- One copy of the Abstract and Access to Research Thesis Form has been received by RSA. This is not applicable to MRes programmes.
Once your degree has been conferred on you at a degree congregation you are able to use the title of Dr.
Distribution of final copies of your thesis
Once you have been notified by the Research Student Administration (RSA) team of the successful outcome of the examination of your thesis your formal registration with the University is deemed to have ended. Your identity card will become invalid regardless of the dates on your thesis .
In accordance with University regulations you are required to submit:
The final hardbound copy of your thesis is sent to the University Library via the Print Me shop. You may wish to email evidence of submission of your hardbound thesis for binding to the Research Student Adminstration team member whose name appears at the bottom of your award letter.
- One electronic copy of your final approved thesis (submit online).
You should also check with your school and supervisor whether they also require a hardbound copy of your final thesis.
You are free to copy and informally distribute the unpublished thesis as you wish. However, there are exceptions to this, for example, if the thesis contains confidential material or if a sponsor or other third party claimed some rights to it. For further information on restricted access, see the notice of intention to submit web pages.
You are not required to submit a final hardbound copy and electronic copy of your thesis if you are on an MRes programme.
Use of University facilities
Once you have been notified in writing by the RSA team of the successful outcome of the examination of your thesis, your formal registration with the University ceases. As a result you will no longer be able to use University facilities, such as the sports centre or the libraries, as a student.
Information regarding access to your student IT account can be found in the Knowledge Base.
For further information on graduation ceremonies, please see the degree congregations web pages.
Find out more
If you have any questions about the requirements for award of your degree that have not been answered on this page, please contact the RSA team by submitting an online enquiry.