Until 1st June 2020 the University is on Restricted Opening and we may therefore be slower in responding to requests for advice.
If you need to contact a member of the team please email them if you know their email address or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Services forms part of the University’s Professional Services and provides in-house legal advice to the University to enable it to take decisions that are risk-aware and are in alignment with its strategic goals.
Carolyn Pike, OBE
Director of Legal Services
As part of providing that advice, our work involves a number of key aspects and themes including:
- Knowledge transfer – equipping colleagues to spot and address straightforward legal issues through the provision of templates, toolkits and training;
- Managing external lawyers in accordance with a Protocol approved by Council. We have a panel of outside legal firms whom we instruct from time to time on specific cases or projects. Colleagues should not instruct external lawyers on University matters without prior referral to Legal Services who will liaise with external firms as necessary and in accordance with the Protocol for Dealings with External Legal Advisers;
- Horizon-scanning – understanding forthcoming legislation and raising awareness of the practical implications for the University. This is often undertaken in conjunction with our external lawyers and relevant sector bodies;
- Strategic projects – involvement at an early stage in the planning of major University-wide projects and initiatives, whether related to research, teaching and infrastructure matters;
- Compliance – ensuring that the University meets certain statutory obligations (in accordance with the University’s Scheme of Delegation) and assisting other teams and departments with their compliance issues;
- Dealing with routine enquiries on legal issues affecting the University.