What are the Photo Guidelines?
As part of Online Registration, you need to upload a high quality passport-style photograph showing your head and shoulders against a pale background. You can provide this photo by uploading an image of yourself. This image can be no larger than 1MB and should be a JPEG.
Incorrect or inappropriate images
If you submit an inappropriate image or an image that does not meet the guidelines below, your card will be withheld and you may be required to pay for a replacement ID card. Currently the cost of a replacement card is £10.
Please follow the guidelines below to ensure that your image is in the correct format. You can always edit your photo before uploading if it does not quite meet the requirements.
The image you upload should:
- be a recent colour photo
- be of you alone (no other people or pets)
- be taken against a pale background
- show you facing forwards with your head and shoulders in the photograph (80% of the photograph should be your head and shoulders)
- show your full face
- show you in the centre of the photograph
- if you wear glasses, show your eyes clearly and avoid glare on the lenses
Please be aware of the following restrictions
- you should not wear a hat or cover your head unless this is for religious reasons - see our advice for students who wear a face veil (Niqab)
- do not wear sunglasses
- do not submit a photo with red eye
- do not submit a photo where you are in the distance or there are other people visible
- do not submit inappropriate or obscene images
- do not submit a photo in which you have edited to alter your appearance or which has had a filter applied to it
- do not submit an image of someone else or copyright protected images
The image should be a .jpg or jpeg file and should be less than 1MB.