Use the list below to find open access journals by title and publisher.
Search open access journals
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ): database of over 3,800 fully open access, peer reviewed scholarly journals growing at a rate of one per day. DOAJ can also be used to identify which journals would be most suitable for your publications.
- FindIt@Bham: search for individual open access journal titles
- OAIster: search open access resources. Features advanced search by journal.
Open access journal publishers
- BioMed Central: publisher of over 170 online journals, across the spectrum of health, biology and medicine.
- Frontiers: over 20,000 articles have been published in 45 community-driven journals across science, medicine and technology.
- Public Library of Science: publishes peer reviewed materials in the science and medicine areas.
- PeerJ: considers and publishes research articles in the Biological and Medical Sciences.
Other publishers retain a subscription style model for most of their journal titles, but have some additional fully open access titles.
Example of these include:
- BMJ Open: published by BMJ. Online, open access journal, dedicated to publishing medical research from all disciplines and therapeutic areas.
- ChemistryOpen: published by Wiley. General chemistry journal covering all areas of chemistry and related disciplines.
- Cogent Economics & Finance: published by Taylor and Francis. Original research articles, reviews and letters in any area of economics and finance.
- FEBS Open Bio: published by Wiley. Online-only open access journal for the rapid publication of research articles in molecular and cellular life sciences in both health and disease.
- Journal of Legal Analysis: published by OUP. General journal on all aspects of law.
- Nature Communications: published by Nature. Multidisciplinary journal that publishes research from all areas of the natural sciences.
- Nucleic Acids Research: published by OUP. Covers physical, chemical, biochemical and biological aspects of nucleic acids and proteins involved in nucleic acid metabolism and/or interactions.
- SAGE Open: published by Sage. Articles may span the full spectrum of the social and behavioral sciences and the humanities.
Email: Scholarly Communications Services