The Research Skills Team provides workshops, online resources and 1:1 appointments to support postgraduate research students, academic staff, research staff and research support staff to become more effective researchers.
- We provide research skills training in a variety of formats to develop the effectiveness of research students and staff throughout their careers.
- We work alongside PGR leads and colleagues in other professional services to embed skills development into the research lifecycle and career development offering.
- The services we offer are developmental and inclusive.
- We acknowledge the broad range of disciplines researched at the University of Birmingham and consequently adopt a coaching approach, encouraging researchers to develop transferable skills linked to career progression within and outside academia.
What we can offer
- We enable PGR students, academics and staff to research effectively, through development of their:
- Literature, data and other resource discovery skills
- Reference management skills
- Ability to curate their online identity
- Publication strategies and use of social media
- Knowledge of open access and research data management
- We enable PGR students in particular to develop their skills in:
- Preparing for thesis and viva activity
- Networking and presenting
- Working effectively with supervisors
- We do this through:
- Workshops open to all PGR students, academics and staff
- Workshops aimed specifically at PGR students
- Lectures or workshops embedded in existing programmes
- Bookable individual appointments (These individual sessions will be provided on a limited offer of 4 sessions per student, per academic year)
- Online training (particularly Canvas modules)
What we can’t offer
- Proofreading services or quality judgements of work
- Carrying out of complete systematic and other literature reviews
- Advice on research methodologies
- Support with non-bibliographic subject data retrieval, and data analysis