Developing a University community where everyone feels welcome, included and empowered to succeed.
The University is a large, complex and diverse institution. We want to create an environment in which every member of our community, of all backgrounds, identities and circumstances, feels valued, accepted, supported and empowered to succeed. In order to do this, we need to take action at organisational and individual levels.
At an organisational level, we will ensure that we have in place fair policies and practices which facilitate the progression and participation of all staff and students. During our consultation with students and staff, it was evidenced that feelings of inclusion are informed by day-to-day experiences and interactions with colleagues, managers, lecturers, supervisors and fellow students. In this sense, everyone has a role to play in creating inclusion: by treating others with dignity and respect; by encouraging participation by all and by being empowered and feeling supported to challenge exclusionary and discriminatory behaviour.
We will undertake targeted activity to address the following issues:
- Helping individuals to develop self-awareness and to address bias
- Increasing knowledge and awareness of practical actions that can be taken to create inclusive working and learning environments
- Creating opportunities to share knowledge, experience and learning
- Empowering everyone to speak up and challenge behaviour and situations that are exclusionary
- Increasing visibility of and communication about EDI across the institution
- Increasing transparency on progress against our objectives