BEAR Software is a range of services provided to researchers, and research groups, with the aim of improving the research software written and used by the researchers. BEAR Software’s mission is summed up in the words of the Software Sustainability Institute: ‘better software, better research’.
About BEAR Software
BEAR Software is provided by Research Software Engineers (RSEs) from the Research Software Group within the Advanced Research Computing Team of IT Services. It comprises several services which are available to all researchers in the University.
Acknowledging the RSG in Publications
For info about acknowledging the Research Software Group in publications see here.
This is why we exist, and what we're aiming at:
- Enable the University of Birmingham's research community to get the best from their research software: "Better software, better research"
- Provide specialist software engineering advice and support to researchers and RSEs
- Help to enhance the University's reputation for high quality research
- Help researchers get the most from BEAR services, maximising the return on the University's investment in BEAR.
The Research Software Group's annual reports contain information about our work, including case studies and statistics.
- Free engagements: We offer advice sessions, and short coaching or coding engagements to all researchers in the University, free of charge.
- Funded engagements: We offer longer, funded coaching or coding engagements, typically on grant-funded projects.
- BEAR support: We can help with any aspect of using the range of BEAR compute services, including installing new software on BEAR.
If you looking for any general information or you have any queries for BEAR Software then please email us at email@example.com.
If you are looking to talk with any RSEs at the University of Birmingham then the following are available:
You may be interested in the national community, the UK RSE Society.