<< back to Handbook homepage

Legal Advice

Legal Services is an in-house solicitors’ office. It advises Colleges, Schools, Departments and Corporate Services within the University and liaises with external bodies and solicitors and barristers, as required. The Director reports directly to the Registrar and Secretary.

The Legal Services’ team currently comprises 7 solicitors and 2 paralegals. Further details are found on its webpage.

Requests for legal advice should be sent to Legal Services via legalservices@contacts.bham.ac.uk using the Advice Request form. This must be done prior to any dealings with external solicitors. 

This policy and process also applies to the provision of legal advice on intellectual property (IP) where University of Birmingham Enterprise provide specialist support. Members of staff are reminded that they are not permitted to instruct external lawyers to provide IP related advice and services and that in this regard, they must make contact with University of Birmingham Enterprise to discuss the required services. University of Birmingham Enterprise have completed a competitive tender process to secure a panel of companies to provide IP services and must be involved in the procurement of all services both within and outside of the framework.

N.B. Legal Services is not authorised by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority to advise staff or students on personal matters.

Letterheaded Paper/Compliment Slips

Only official letterheaded paper produced by Central Printing Services may be used for University correspondence. All letterheads should be locked securely at all times. Supplies may be obtained from the local administrators who will be able to provide you with a template and advise on how to order paper should you need to order a larger quantity.

Lone Working

It is inevitable that at certain times staff, students and visitors will find themselves working alone and/or out of hours. This may be because of the time of day or year, e.g. out of term time; the location of the work, e.g. an individual office, a remote building or location or off campus; or the nature of the work, e.g. maintenance, horticulture or security.

Apart from some specific work activities, e.g. working on live electrical equipment, diving, carrying explosives in vehicles and fumigation work, there are no specific regulations prohibiting lone working. Lone working is required to be considered in the overall risk assessment for a particular activity. If a significant risk is identified then suitable control measures should be put in place to reduce the risks to an acceptable level. If the risk is significantly high the control measure may be to prohibit lone working.

It is up to managers and supervisors to determine if out of hours or lone working is permissible and the control measures that should be in place. Further information can be found here.

<< back to Handbook homepage


Professional Services