The College Alumni Relations team builds and maintains mutually beneficial relationships with Social Science graduates around the world in order to support the College strategic priorities. We are particularly focused on projects that support Research, Education and Engagement for Impact.
The CoSS alumni body provides the College with a world-wide network of supporters and advocates, therefore it is imperative to develop an ongoing, regular and two-way dialogue with CoSS alumni to develop a sense of pride in the wider CoSS community, build affinity, encourage alumni to engage with the College and increase the reach and reputation of the College amongst prospective students, employers, collaborators and funders.
Operationally, this means that we will:
- continue to collect, clean and securely store graduate data, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, within our bespoke alumni database - Raiser’s Edge
- initiate and maintain a purposeful and regular two-way dialogue with our alumni through regular email and print communications
- identify and promote graduate successes e.g. We are Birmingham Alumni
- develop alumni specific web content across the College e.g. Alumni Ambassadors to support student recruitment
- identify and facilitate opportunities for alumni to become involved and engaged in the College
- support and develop alumni relevant events within the College including Alumni Curriculum Lectures and the Distinguished Leaders Series
- promote and steward all alumni contributions, whether time based or financial
As an integral part of both the College and the Development and Alumni Relations Team, we aim to integrate with and build on central alumni relations activity and provide a more bespoke and added value service for Social Science alumni. We can also provide direct access to a variety of useful resources including the University’s Annual Giving and Major Gift/Development Team.
Benefits of working with us
Our alumni can add value across the College. For example:
- A curriculum lecture or roundtable event with a high profile alumnus can help to create a truly distinctive educational experience.
- Seeing what other students have gone on to achieve can bring to life the possible careers that a social sciences degree can lead to. This can help prospective students and their parents to make informed choices.
- Mentoring from alumni can help our students increase their employability and make the transition into successful careers
- Our alumni include policy makers, advocates and senior practioners, who can provide valuable networks for academics to help shape, disseminate and advocate for their research.
We are always open to new approaches to using the time, talents and treasure of our alumni to support the College. If you have ideas on how our alumni might be able to support your work, please get in touch.
Meet the team
College Alumni Relations Manager
Tel: 0121 414 3127
Richard Hewitt (maternity cover for Danielle Albracht)
Senior Alumni Relations Officer, Schools of Government & Society and Social Policy
Tel: 0121 415 1053
MBA Alumni Relations Officer, Birmingham Business School
Tel: 0121 414 3068
Dr Roaa Ali-Moore
Alumni Relations Officer, Birmingham Business School
Tel: 0121 414 4966
Alumni Relations Assistant, College of Social Sciences
Tel: 0121 414 8432