Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)

The AHRC is one of 7 Research Councils that work together as part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). It is principally funded from the Government's Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). 

Your award 

Basic stipend amounts are confirmed each year for all the UK Research Councils by their governing body, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). Most awards will provide funding towards fees and an annual maintenance grant award.

Research Training Support Grant

Depending on the type of studentship award that you receive, the AHRC provides a limited Research Training Support Grant (RTSG), which can be used for overseas and UK study visits and overseas conference attendance.

Applications to this are administered in batches using the form below. Please refer to the below guidelines for more information.

How your award is paid to you

Stipends are paid directly into your bank account in monthly in advance instalments.

Proof of your award and funding

The University can provide you with written confirmation of your Research Council funding.

You should contact your College/School directly to request this.

Leave of absence

The AHRC does allow leave of absences to be taken from funded studies for medical and personal reasons, including maternity leave. In addition to this, leave of absences can also be taken if you have been offered a temporary research position or internship which will be of benefit to your overall funded research.

While you are in your leave of absence you will not receive any funding from the AHRC, but your payments will resume once you have confirmed your return to your studies. In addition to this, your registration dates on your study will be automatically altered to take any leave of absences into account.

PhD students receiving a stipend from a doctoral training grant are entitled to receive a stipend during maternity leave in line with statutory maternity provision. They will also have their studentships extended by a corresponding length of time.

Retrospective leave of absence requests will only be considered by the AHRC under exceptional circumstances.

Extending your registration or submission date

Extensions to your normal period of registration should be discussed with your Supervisor as part of your annual progress review meeting. If you are in writing up status, an extension to the submission date of your thesis may be approved for personal or medical reasons. Retrospective extension requests will only be considered by the AHRC under exceptional circumstances.

As the AHRC only fund their students when they are normally registered, you will not receive additional funding for an extension in your writing up period

Changing from full-time to part-time

The AHRC will support a transfer from full-time study to part time study (or vice versa) if the request is supported by your School and College. You should discuss any potential changes to your registration status with your Supervisor. Transfers between full time and part time study are only permitted during your period of normal registration. Retrospective transfer requests will only be considered by the AHRC under exceptional circumstances.

Disabled Students Allowances

To find out if you are eligible for a DSA please visit the UKRI website and read the following guidelines:

To apply for a DSA you will need to contact Disability Services, who will provide you with the relevant forms and can give you further advice about eligibility.

Need more help?

You should contact your College/School directly if you have any queries about your funding which have not been answered on this page.

Before you send an email, you should make sure you have read the information for students funded by the AHRC and the Research Council training grant guidance:


Professional Services