Access the Student Disability Service

To access the majority of our services you will need to complete our online form and provide appropriate evidence, so we can ensure that any recommended adjustments are appropriate. Please attach your evidence to your registration form or email it to us separately.

If our service holds relevant and up-to-date evidence of your disability or learning difficulty, your department should not need to request additional evidence.

If you have any queries about your evidence, please contact us at  or come to one of our drop-in sessions.

Evidence guidance

Specific learning difficulties

We require a full diagnostic assessment report completed in accordance with SASC guidelines by either:

  • An Educational Psychologist who holds a current Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC ) certificate or;
  • A specialist teacher assessor holding a current assessment practising certificate (APC).

Please note, a JCQ Form 8 is insufficient. 

More information

Please see our Accessing Support (PDF - 159KB) guidelines for more detailed guidance or email

Other disability, physical or mental health condition

We require medical evidence to show that you are eligible for registering with our service, for example a Disabled Students’ Allowances report or a GP or consultant’s letter that clearly states a long-term diagnosis. Appointment letters are not sufficient for this purpose. Please note that some GPs charge for writing evidence letters and you will be liable to pay this fee.

If you do not already have appropriate evidence, we advise you to obtain a letter that shows you are disabled under the definition of the Equality Act 2010 (see below). This is so that you can use the same letter to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances.

It is helpful for the medical evidence to include:

  • Diagnosis
  • Likely duration of the disability / health condition
  • Whether the condition is fluctuating
  • Possible effects of the disability on learning / attendance at University etc (as if condition was untreated)
  • Any impact on day-to-day activities (as if condition was untreated).

If possible identify whether the condition affects:

  • Concentration or memory
  • Motivation
  • Reading / writing for long periods
  • Use of computers
  • Ability to walk any distance
  • Whether medication may have side effects that may impact on learning, e.g. sleep disturbance, fatigue in the mornings etc.

A person is disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if they have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on their ability to do normal daily activities (this includes study-related activities). 

‘Substantial’ is more than minor or trivial – e.g. it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed. ‘Long-term’ means that it may well last for 12 months or more, although conditions where the impact fluctuates, such as depression or fibromyalgia, are also likely to be covered.

The impact of impairment or disability should be described as if it was not treated by medication, therapy or other care and lifestyle management.

Registering for on-campus parking

If you are registering with us for on-campus parking only, we require a letter from your GP or consultant which clearly states that you would benefit from on-campus parking, with the reasons why. For example, you have difficulty walking more than 100 metres.

If you are a Blue Badge holder, you do not need to register with our service to access car parking on-campus. Please attach a copy of your blue badge to the application form available under 'Student parking' on the Car parking intranet page. 

Registering for exam adjustments

If you are registering with us for exam adjustments only, we require a letter from your GP or consultant which follows the guidelines detailed in the 'Other disability, physical or mental health conditions' section and clearly states that you would benefit from exam adjustments.

N.B. May/June 2019 exam adjustments 

Now that the main Summer 2019 exam season is in progress the Disability teams are unable to process  late requests for disability related, special exam arrangement recommendations. If you feel your exam performance has been significantly impacted, please speak to the  Welfare/Wellbeing Officer in your School for advice on options available to you and on submitting an extenuating circumstances form to your School.

For more information on the range of other services you can access, including if you are experiencing exam stress please  the mental health and wellbeing team



Professional Services