Westmere House facilities are now available to book for 2021/22. Room capacity restrictions and Covid-19 mitigations may apply. Please complete the room booking form to enquire.
Currently, the Hot Desk Room is unavailable. We hope to return to normal conditions soon. When available the Postgraduate Researcher Hot Desk Room contains 5 PCs for use by PGR students on a ‘first come, first served basis’.
There are four spaces available to book:
- The Seminar Room can seat 28 people. It has full teaching AV facilities, moveable furniture, and direct access to Westmere’s garden. Currently limited to 10 people.
- The Foyer is suitable for exhibitions and has an area of soft furnishing for informal meetings of up to five people seated.
- The Social Space acts as a breakout area for both the Seminar Room and the Foyer. An area of soft furnishing can accommodate groups of seven people seated.
- The Garden is also available for use during the warmer months, for example as a venue for PGR BBQs, or as a place to relax in our deck chairs, picnic blankets and bean bags.
Making a booking
To book one of the spaces available at Westmere, please complete the online booking form. Please check the Westmere locations on Web Timetables prior to making your booking request.
Terms and conditions
- Only requests made by University of Birmingham postgraduate researchers or staff members hosting postgraduate researcher-focused events will be accepted.
- A minimum of 3 working days’ notice is required for all bookings.
- If you are organising an outside speaker or showing a film/video clip, you will need to seek approval from the University Graduate School at least 20 working days prior to the event.
- If you intend to invite any external delegates to an event, this must be declared when making the booking request. Otherwise, it is expected that bookings are attended exclusively by current University of Birmingham students and staff (except for any declared external speakers.)
- We ask that you please keep a record of attendees that can be referred to in the event of a fire.
- The Seminar Room has moveable furniture, which can be adapted to suit the needs of your meeting or event, but the desks need to be put back to the correct layout of the room ready for the next user. It is the responsibility of the person booking the room to ensure that the space is tidied after the event, with all rubbish (inc. leftover catering items) bagged and tied and left by the bins in the foyer (please ensure you bring black waste bags with you).
- In some circumstances, there may be a charge for the use of a space. For example:
* If there is any damage to the space or equipment
* If the space requires cleaning after use
* If the nature of the event requires Security cover.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all spaces, at all times.
- It is your responsibility to respect other users within the building with regards to noise and behaviour.
- Bookings are permitted only for the locations shown above.
- Any deliveries must be scheduled for the day of your event and you must make arrangements for the supplier/courier to be met. The University Graduate School will not accept deliveries on your behalf and will not store items at Westmere.
- At least 3 working days’ advanced notice of any Delivered Catering deliveries must be provided to the University Graduate School.
- Do not attach any signs, displays or posters to the spaces, except on designated open poster boards.
- You must not use the University’s name, logo, crest, or the logo of any University departments or centres in any publicity material, without written permission from the University.
- Cancellations - if you no longer need to use a room you have booked please cancel as soon as possible to allow someone else to book the room instead.