Visa Refusal

To apply for a Student Route visa you will need to make an application online. In certain cases visa applications may be refused. If your Student Route visa application has been refused, please do not worry and contact  the International Students Team (IST) as soon as possible.

If you use a University of Birmingham Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and your Student Route visa application is refused, you must let us know so that we can give you further advice on what you will need to do next.

Visa refusal outside of the UK

If your Student Route visa is refused outside of the UK, you will receive a letter explaining why the entry clearance officer has refused your visa. You will also find the information on Administrative review in the letter which will explain if you are allowed to submit an administrative review and how you can submit an administrative review. An Administrative review is a process which can be used to reconsider the original visa application.

You must contact us if your visa has been refused and we will be able to provide you with information and advice on what to do. Please send an email to us and briefly explain the details of the application you made. Please attach a scan of the refusal letter to the email.

Visa refusal in the UK

If your Student Route visa application has been refused in the UK, you will receive a refusal decision letter with your visa application. The decision letter will explain the reasons for the refusal; therefore you should carefully read the decision letter.

Your continued enrolment will be affected if your Student Route visa has been refused. It is essential that you seek advice in this situation. 

Please contact the IST if your visa has been refused.

We advise you to see an adviser at the IST as soon as you possibly can after you receive a refusal. IST prioritises refusal cases and ensures that you are able to get accurate advice quickly.

The Immigration Rules require that the University of Birmingham only enrolls and continues to enroll students who have valid permission (a valid visa) to study in the UK and continue their course.



Professional Services