Brum Bulletin - 6 April 2022
The Brum Bulletin - Your student newsletter
Welcome to your final Brum Bulletin before Easter - it’s been a busy time, but we hope you are excited for a short break! Time is also running out to have your say in the NSS or UKES surveys, so make sure you share your thoughts on the University, it really does make a difference for you and other students. Find out below just why your voice is so critical in shaping your experience with an exclusive message from Prof. Deborah Longworth, Deputy-Pro-Vice-Chancellor.
This issue also includes an Easter message from the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Adam Tickell where he reflects back on the sad events of last week, wishes everyone well for the Easter break, and highlights some of the ways you can meet him to discuss your thoughts on University life in Birmingham. Read the message.
Have Your Say
Hear from Pro-Vice-Chancellor Prof. Deborah Longworth on just why sharing your view on the University makes such a difference to your experience and other students. Watch now
Butterfly Affect Installation Open
A beautiful new installation in the engineering building has been erected, formed entirely from origami butterflies made by students. The installation will remain on campus but make sure you check it out! Explore the installation
UoBe Ready PLUS Study Planner
Assessment season is just around the corner, but we’ve got all the best tips to get you ready for whatever assessments you might be taking. Get your FREE study planner and find out how you can UoBe Ready. Read more
Dates for your diary
Don't forget to check out a full list of events on the intranet page here!
SURVIVAL ⇌ EXTINCTION
Wednesday 6 April (Until August), Lapworth Museum
This collection of watercolours and drawings by Phillip Richardson is on display at the Lapworth, celebrating the significance of some beautiful rocks, plants and creatures and how they relate to us today. Find out more.
From City of Empire to City of Diversity: A Visual Journey
Until Friday 29 April, Muirhead Tower Atrium
This exhibition tells the story of Birmingham’s evolution from a city built on Empire to the amazingly diverse city it is today. The centrepiece is an incredible collection of photographs taken by Birmingham photographer, Ernest Dyche, between 1910 and 1980. Find out more.
B-Film – Moonlight: Screening Black Queer Youth
Tuesday 26 April 2022, 5:00-8:00pm, The Carroll, (Muirhead G15)
Join Dr Maria Flood in a screening of the internationally acclaimed film Moonlight, including a session exploring the complexity of the film and Q&A. Find out more.
Three Minute Thesis
If you are a current doctoral researcher interested in developing your presentation and research communication skills, raising the profile of your research and having the chance to win an international research bursary, we warmly encourage you to join the Canvas Course to take part in 3MT 2022.
Events over Easter
Staying on campus over the Easter break? Check out our range of events for postgrads here: Easter celebrations, board games, film nights and more!
Plus look out for the Postgraduate Survey launching 19 April, a chance for PGTs to provide feedback about your experience! More information to follow.
IST Reception Desk Now Open
The International Student Team is located on 3rd Floor, University Centre, R23 on the Campus Map. The easiest way to find them is by taking the three flights of stairs by the SPAR (in the food court). There are also lifts by the SPAR (select floor 3). Opening times are 9am – 5pm every weekday (11am – 5pm on Wednesdays)
Improved Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) Form
The International Student Team have launched their new online Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies form. The new form has replaced the previous process, making it easier for those students who require an extension to their student visa. Find out more.
What's on in Brum?
Looking for a different kind of hunt this Easter? Check out Treasure Hunt Birmingham for an interactive and fun way to see unique spots right across Birmingham! Explore Birmingham
- SPEAK Survey: Win a £50 One4All Survey Voucher – The Higher Education Futures institute want to know about your student experience. By entering, you’re in with a chance of winning a £50 One4All voucher! Complete the survey
- Ceremony: Pop Comes to Campus – Part of the Birmingham 2022 festival, did you know some of the 20th Century’s top bands have been associated with the university? Check out the Bramall Building Foyer for a unique exhibition on the university’s involvement with the music industry. Find out more.
- Forum for Global Challenges Press Opportunity – Are you a budding reporter? The Forum for Global Challenges (3-5 May) are looking for student volunteers to write, tweet and create video content during the event. Those selected will receive a free delegate pass for the day of their sessions. Find out more.
- Assessments Focus Groups and Survey: Win vouchers and prizes – As part of a project looking at the process of assessments at the university, the Higher Education Foundations Institute (HEFi) want to hear your views. Complete the survey to be in with a chance of winning a £100 or 1st and 2nd years can take part in focus groups to receive a £10 Love2Shop voucher.
- Aston Webb Student Hub - The Student Hub will be opening later than usual this Thursday (7 April), opening its doors at 10:30am. This is due to staff training taking place.
If you have any suggestions for the student newsletter please email firstname.lastname@example.org.