The Brum Bulletin - Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Special
Welcome to this (very!) special edition of the Brum Bulletin – your student newsletter.
This issue is dedicated to this summer’s Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. We are extremely proud to be involved in this major sporting event and with just under 64 days to go, we’re putting the spotlight on how you, our beautiful campus and city is preparing for this once in a lifetime opportunity.
Scroll down to find out:
- How you can bag yourself the best summer job in town
- How to get your hands on two tickets to the Games, and your very own Perry the Mascot toy
- The amazing work our students are doing as part of this incredible celebration of Birmingham and the global community.
The final countdown is on and we can’t wait for the Games. Are you ready to Ready to #ShareThePride too? On your marks, get set… go!
Share the Chairs!
Take a seat and a selfie (or any photo will do) on our giant deck chairs and you could win a pair of tickets to the Commonwealth Games! They’re located in the centre of campus, so strike your pose, take your snap, and share using the hashtag #GameChangingBirmingham, or email them to us. Enter the giveaway
Welcome to Brum
We can’t wait to share our fantastic city and campus with the world. The Games are expected to attract over one million spectators during the 11 days, but what should they see to take advantage of everything Brum has to offer? We asked students what their must-visit places are – here’s what they said. Discover Brum
Queen’s Baton Bearers
The Queen’s Baton Relay has been making its way around all four corners of the globe and UoB students are set to bring it home. Find out more about some of these students and hear the story of their incredible achievements. Follow the baton.
Get set for Gold!
We are proud to have some of our very own students taking part in the Games, including Physics student Muqtadir Nimji, who will be representing Kenya in squash here on campus! Find out how he’s preparing for the Games. Hear from Muqtadir.
Volunteering at Birmingham 2022
Sports Science student Laura McPeake will be playing a crucial role at this summer’s Games volunteering as an Anti-Doping Chaperone, an integral part of the Games. Learn more about the role and what she’s most looking forward to. Hear Laura's story.
Birmingham’s best Summer Job
Working as a Food and Beverage Assistant at the Commonwealth Games, English and Classics student Alina Kokina will be earning money AND being part of this “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” Check out available paid roles here. About Alina
Dates for your diary
The Commonwealth Games is about more than just sport. Check out the Birmingham 2022 Festival – a celebration of creativity taking place across Birmingham and the West Midlands. From dance workshops to photography exhibitions, there is so much to choose from.
Birmingham 2022 Queen’s Baton Relay Water Lecture
Thursday 26 May, 3:30pm, Online
Join Birmingham lecturers Shasha Han and David Hannah as they discuss a new collaboration to address global challenges associated with water and sustainable development goals in an era of unprecedented change. Watch the lecture on Zoom.
Fantasy Worlds Weekend
27-29 May, On-Campus
Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien grew up in Birmingham and went to our university? And that Old Joe is supposedly the inspiration for the Eye of Sauron? For all you Lord of the Rings fans, there is a celebration of Middle-Earth taking place right here on campus, including a film marathon! Journey to Middle-Earth here.
Birmingham International Dance Festival
17 June – 3 July, Various Locations
Get your groove on with the Birmingham International Dance Festival. As part of the Commonwealth Festival, there are a host of international dances and troupes, celebrating the vast multicultural background of our city. Find out more.
Deck Chair Afternoon Fun
Thursday 9 and 16 June, 1-4pm, University Square
As highlighted above, one lucky winner could walk away with tickets to the Commonwealth Games through our ‘Share the Chair’ giveaway. As a bonus, come down on the above dates and unwind with some fun outdoor games and activities for you to enjoy while taking your prize-winning snaps!
Win your own Perry toy!
How would you like to win your very own plush toy of Perry, Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games official mascot? Just answer this simple question! UoB will host which TWO sports events during the Games? Remember to log in with your University credentials. Terms and conditions apply. Submit your answer.
- Volunteer mailing list – Are you volunteering in the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games? If you are then we’d love to hear from you! Just fill in this short form to let us know. You can get exclusive behind the scenes information and updates.
- Baton goes down under – The Queen’s Baton Relay has been on a global journey, and a few months ago it was in Sydney, where some of our year abroad students bore it! Find out about these two incredible students who are living their best life down under.
- Commonwealth Games medals – Did you know that all the medals for the Games have been made in Birmingham? Our city has a rich industrial past with some of the finest jewellery in the world being made here. Learn more about the inspiration behind the design.
- Fact-finding across campus – Did you know that 692 squash balls will be used for the Games? For more interesting facts like this, keep an eye out for our Birmingham 2022 floor vinyls across campus.
If you have any suggestions for the student newsletter please email email@example.com.