Top tips to keeping belongings safe on campus
Follow this advice from our Security Services team who, working together with the Guild of Students and many different stakeholders across the university and the city including West Midlands Police, want to provide a safe learning experience for all students.
From smartphones to laptops, you can follow these simple tips to help keep your personal belongings secure:
- Do not leave any valuable items (such as your laptop, AirPods, purse, wallet, phone, or keys) unattended on your table, remember it only takes a second for someone to grab and walk away! Take them with you or leave them with someone you know you can trust.
- Be aware of your surroundings - if you’re listening to music on headphones, make sure you can still hear what’s happening around you. If you’re on your phone or computer, glance around you from time to time. If you see any suspicious activity, please report it straight away to Security Services on 0121 414 4444.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Ensure your bag is closed and items aren’t on show. If you must leave items in your car, lock them away in the boot or the glove box.
- Lock your bicycle using a D Lock. UoB students can pick up a free high-quality D Lock (worth £53) from the UBSafe Hub, next to Spar in the University Centre – just call 0121 414 2253 to arrange collection. Check out our top tips to help prevent your bike from being stolen.
- Insure, register and track your possessions – If the worst happens and you are a victim of crime, you have a better chance of getting your property back if you’ve insured and registered it. Register your valuables on the national database, Immobilise - this is the database that the Police will check in the event of any items such as your phone or bike being stolen and then recovered.
Your Security team are here to offer help, support, and advice 24 hours a day, all year round. If you do lose anything or believe it might have been stolen, do report it to Security Services immediately on 0121 414 4444. The Security Office is staffed 24/7 and monitors CCTV across campus. Find them at the rear of the Aston Webb Building in B Block courtyard, next to the Great Hall, just off Ring Road South.
Learn more about Security Services- how to contact them and where to find them.