External students - applying to repeat internally

If you are an external resit student and considering changing your registration status to internal repeat, you must first talk to your tutor/supervisor in your School or Department for advice.


How can I apply?

  • Download a copy of the Application for External Students to Repeat Internally Form (found below)
  • Complete Section A of the form
  • Send the form to your School/Department.

The approved application must reach Taught Student Administration once your marks are ratified at either a Main assessment exam board or Supplementary assessment exam board.

 Upon approval, the form will be passed to a member of the Taught Student Administration Team, who will then process the application and notify the Finance Office, your Sponsor and your local authority (if applicable)


Will I incurr a fee as an internal student?

If you become an internal repeat student, you will need to register for the academic session that you are repeating, and pay a pro rata tuition fee based on the number of credits being repeated. Fee information can be found on the Student Fees website.

Will I be entitled to any financial support?

You will need to contact your Sponsor and/or Local Authority to check if they will provide you with financial support.

Will I need to attend teaching events?

You will be required to attend all teaching for the modules being repeated, as well as examinations/assessments.

Please note: The overall mark achieved in each module is capped at the pass mark for degree classification purposes, unless you are repeating the module due to accepted extenuating circumstances.

Will I have full use of University facilities?

Yes - as a registered student, you will be entitled to full access to University facilities.

I am an international student. Are there any visa implications?

If you are a visa national student, you need to ensure you have a valid visa to cover your period of study. All UK institutions are now legally required to report any changes in a Student Route (previously Tier 4) visa holder’s registration status to UK Visas and Immigration.

You are strongly advised to seek further advice from the International Student Team (IST) prior to submitting your request. You should log an online enquiry at www.studenthelp.bham.ac.uk including the details of your enquiry and attaching a scan of your current visa. When your enquiry has been received, the IST will send you an email outlining next steps.

Should you decide not to take immigration advice from this specialist service, please be advised that you do so entirely at your own risk.


Can't find what you're looking for?

If your query has not been answered above, please log a call through Student Help including as much information as you can to enable us to help you as swiftly as possible.



Professional Services