Working after your studies

If you are intending to work in the UK after your studies it is best to start your research early, as it can take some time to find a position that is right for you.

Sponsored students

If you are sponsored by a government, your home university or an international scholarship agency, you should check with your sponsor to confirm that they will allow you to stay in the UK after your studies. In many cases sponsors will want students to return to their home country as soon as their studies are completed.

Looking for a job

If you need help looking for a job, you can contact the University Careers and Employability Centre who are available to help all students looking for graduate employment, work experience and training. They are based in the University Centre. You can talk to staff and use reference material and take-away literature to help you with your career planning. Whatever your course, and whichever country you wish to work in when you graduate, they will try to help.

For advice regarding your visa or work permit applications, you must contact ISAS.

Working on a student visa after your course

Once you have completed your studies you can work full-time on your student visa (if it allows you to work) up to a maximum of four months, or until your visa expires, whichever is sooner.

You are not allowed to:

  • Engage in business or self-employment
  • Provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer
  • Pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy

Your course completion date will be the date when you have completed all the requirements of your course. If you are unsure of your course completion date, you can ask the Student Enquiries Service.

If you are a postgraduate taught student who has completed all examinations and are working on your dissertation, this is still a part of your course and would count as term time. You should only work within the number of hours allowed for term time.

If you are a postgraduate research student who is writing up their thesis, or have submitted your thesis and are waiting for your oral examination (viva), this period is a part of your course. You should only work within the number of hours allowed for term time.

If your course has finished earlier than planned or you changed to a shorter course please contact ISAS as different rules may apply to you.

Work schemes for international students

For information about the types of post study work schemes available to international students please see the

Sources of help

Further information on the above schemes and others can be found in the

The schemes available change frequently, so you should also check the for up-to-date information.

If you have any questions about working in the UK after your studies, please contact ISAS and we will be happy to help.

Students in a lectureQuestions about working in the UK?

Contact the International Student Advisory Service