<< back to Handbook homepage

Absence Reporting

See Attendance/Sickness Reporting.

Academic Promotions Process

The University remains committed to promotion based on merit and level of contribution, determined by peer assessment against criteria outlined within the relevant process for promotion. We will support staff in navigating the process through information, as well as through the self-assessment process, personal development and the support of others.

The University encourages staff to put themselves forward for promotion at a point where both they and their Institute believe they are ready and able to demonstrate their readiness.

Further information regarding the Academic Promotions Process may be obtained from Human Resources.

Academic Referencing

See Referencing.

Accident Reporting

See Reporting of Accidents, Incidents, Near Misses and Occupational Ill Health

Accommodation (Visiting Students)

Visiting students may contact to ask for short term accommodation. They should initially contact University Living living@contacts.bham.ac.uk and http://www.birminghamstudentpad.co.uk/Accommodation for details of accommodation within the University. 

As an alternative we have close links with a number of other agencies in Birmingham who offer a variety of accommodation as detailed below:

  • http://hattersgroup.com - this is a good quality hostel used by students and visitors from the University in the city centre
  • http://www.bish.org.uk/contact-us - Birmingham International Student Homes provide accommodation for single students and families near to the University.

Serviced Apartments:


Full list of commonly used University of Birmingham terms and acronyms.


See Family Leave Arrangements.

Annual Leave/Holiday Entitlement

Your holiday entitlement is determined by your terms and conditions of employment. Full salary is payable during holidays.

Full-time support, administrative and other academic-related staff are entitled to 40 days off a year, made up of 25 days of 'bookable' annual holiday, seven closed days, and eight bank holidays. If you work part-time or term time only, your holidays are calculated pro rata: see Calculating Annual Leave. Staff can also arrange to buy additional leave and you should contact the Institute Manager for the appropriate forms.

The annual leave year for Support Staff runs from 1 January to the following 31 December. The annual leave year for Administrative and Other Related staff runs from 1st October to the following 30th September. All staff should agree their holiday schedules with their line manager/academic supervisor. Only exceptional carry-overs of annual leave from one accounting year to another will be allowed and prior agreement should be sought from your line manager/academic supervisor.

Requests for periods of extended leave (i.e. greater than 2 weeks) will be considered according to the operational needs of each academic unit. All requests should be made via your line manager/academic supervisor. Annual leave forms should be sent to either the Institute Manager (administrative staff) or Technical Manager (technical staff) at the end of each calendar year for recording purposes. Annual leave forms for all staff are available here.

No specified periods of holiday are laid down for academic staff. Holidays must be taken in consultation with the Head of Institute, and normally outside term time in accordance with University practice.

Further details available here.

Annual Review

In addition to regular uplift in the salary scales (usually annually) by negotiation with the recognised trade unions, the salaries of all staff are reviewed annually.

For support staff, this forms part of the Performance and Development Review scheme for support staff

The University’s current guidelines can be found here.

Approved Suppliers

The University has a list of approved suppliers who should be used for all orders placed. Listing of all of the Approved Contracts and Framework Agreements used by the University.

Associate Status

Inclusive membership of our Institutes and fostering of collaboration is essential to achieving the aspirations of the Life Sciences Strategy. Academic staff whose main alignment/substantive position is housed in one Institute, but who may also have a research or teaching interest/involvement in another, can apply for associate status.

Associate status is a College-owned process, which provides the associated member with useful benefits such as access to institute events, email distribution lists, shared drives and a web presence. Moreover, it provides a way of recognising collaborations and contribution to other Institutes.

Should an academic member of staff be interested in obtaining associate status to another Institute, as agreed by College Board in Feb 2016 (see appendix 1), management of this process is as follows:

  1. Academic staff member completes “Expression of Interest: Associate Status” (appendix 2)
  2. Academic sends form to Institute Manager (or nominee) of home institute for facilitation
  3. Form is sent to b Institute Directors for sign off
  4. Associate Status is confirmed
  5. Institute Manager (or nominee) keeps a log of all those with associate status and the date agreed
  6. Institute Manager ensures relevant access to email distribution lists, shared drives, website profile and so on.
  7. Academic PDR process includes the contribution to the associated Institute

Associate status can be withdrawn at the request of the academic, or the Directors of either Institute following discussion with all parties involved.

Associate Users

The University hosts a number of associate users who require access to electronic facilities but are not members of staff. An Associate User form needs to be completed and returned to your Institute Management Team or other local contact.  Associate user status can be issued for a maximum of 12 months and provides the user with a UoB email address and access to University intranet facilities.  Always consider whether a VAF/visa assessment and Visiting Personnel form also need to be completed.  Refer to your Institute Management Team for further information on the visa and visiting personnel processes.


See Cash Machines.

Attendance/Sickness Reporting

You should inform your line manager on the first day of absence unless an alternative reporting route is agreed with the line manager. The line manager should inform the Absence Coordinator of any absences as soon as possible. Absence Coordinators are required to report all absences to the Senior Institute Administrator or other designated administrator on a weekly basis.

Please remember to contact your line manager on the day that you return to work for a return to work meeting where your line manager will ascertain the cause of your absence and ensure that you are fit to return to work and that all arrangements for your return have been made.

If the period of absence is longer than 3 weeks, the employee and manager must complete this form together and forward to the Senior Institute Administrator or other designated administrator for processing.

Illness between 4 and 7 days requires the completion of a University Self-Certification form. Beyond 7 days a doctor’s note is required.

More generic information may be found on the Leave and Attendance pages within the Human Resources intranet site.


AV equipment (including technical support) can be hired from LRAT but will be subject to a charge. Charges are applied for 0-4hrs or full day rental and vary according to whether equipment is required for teaching or a non-teaching event.

To book equipment or services for a teaching event, simply login with your staff details to the online booking service and follow the instructions for new bookings. 

To make an initial booking enquiry for a non-teaching event, login with your staff details to the online booking service and follow the instructions for new bookings. LRAT will then provide you with a quote for the equipment and services requested. You will normally receive a quote within one working day. Once you receive the quote, you should raise a purchase order through Proactis to cover the cost of the equipment.

Dental School - AV equipment (including technical support) can be hired by contacting Marina Tipton who will confirm room/equipment availability. For external use, contact Marina Tipton in the first instance to confirm availability but this will be subject to a charge. Any queries regarding charges should be directed to Lynne Reynolds.

Trust Education Centre – there must be a member of Trust staff\honorary member of Trust staff using the equipment – they must use their Trust log in to use the AV Equipment.

However, the TEL team within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences also provide support for the VLE. They can be contacted at: telmds@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

<< back to Handbook homepage


Professional Services