Veganuary on campus
From joining the gym to cutting out alcohol, January involves making positive lifestyle changes for many of us after weeks of over-indulging.
This month is also the perfect time to give Veganuary a go - whether for health reasons, sustainability concerns, animal welfare or simply a fondness for falafels, now is an opportunity to delve into the world of plant-based eating.
A wave of fresh vegan food is sweeping across campus menus, with some exciting new options for the new year:
- Vegan winter warmers are coming to Winterbourne and the Main Library café.
- Super Tiffin, located downstairs at the University Centre, will have a revolving vegan curry menu daily to keep things spicy.
- New vegan sandwiches have been added to the meal deals at Food Fellows outlets (these include Metro, Atrium Café and Campus Express), just look out for the £4 meal deal sign!
- Eat Curious products will be available in selected outlets.
- Shackleton village is adding vegan pizzas to their menus.
All our outlets on campus offer non-dairy milk alternatives to go in your hot drinks as standard.
Additionally, staff ordering catering via Delivered by Food Fellows will be able to add a brand-new vegan platter or two onto any orders.
The 31-day Veganuary challenge started in 2014 and has encouraged more than one million people in 192 countries to try a vegan diet for the month of January and beyond.
Ollie works in External Relations and took part in Veganuary last year. He said: "Initially it was just an experiment, a few of my friends were all doing Veganuary at the time so I thought I'd join in. I ended up really enjoying it and stuck with it.
“I was worried about having fewer options to eat, especially on campus, but there's a really great selection on offer. Winterbourne has nice vegan options. It was also exciting to see Kimiko open recently as they offer some delicious (and filling) vegan food.
“I would encourage everyone to try out Veganuary. You don't have to become a fully-fledged herbivore overnight, but it's a fun opportunity to try some new foods and test out new recipes."
Keep your eyes on the University social media channels as our student content shapers will be giving you a tour of our campus outlets, focusing on the vegan food available to help you find the climate-friendly options you crave. We know our students already have great taste so this will be a fun one to look out for!