The Brum Bulletin - Your student newsletter
It’s the first day of December which means the Countdown to Christmas is on! This year on campus we are getting into the Christmas spirit with two weeks of jam-packed Christmas festivities, full of exciting activities and experiences, for everyone to enjoy.
Based on campus and beyond, there will be a range of seasonal events taking place every day from the 1-17 December! Come along to Chancellor’s Court today as we kick off our festive fun. Tuck into some delicious dishes from the Digbeth Dining Club food market before meeting Santa and his reindeer from 2pm-6pm. Join us by the University Christmas Tree outside the Bramall Building at 5pm to watch the campus shine bright with the Christmas lights switch on. Enjoy seeing the twinkling lights on the tree and an animated festive projection on to Old Joe. And that’s not all. From 6.15pm, celebrate the joy of Christmas at the University's Carol Service in the prestigious Great Hall.
To find out more including timings, head to the Countdown to Christmas page on the student intranet. There you’ll also find all the fun festive things happening in the city. For our international students who are staying in the UK for the winter break, you can also learn more about some of the slightly weird and wonderful customs and traditions that take place in the UK.
Enjoy this Countdown to Christmas over the next two weeks and don't forget to tag us in your pictures using the hashtag #UoBChristmas!
Join us on campus to celebrate Christmas festivity with fun activities happening every day! Check out the full programme here.
Countdown to Christmas
Something exciting is coming to campus...
Assessments are an essential part of university life. They can be daunting but try not to worry. Find out how to make the most of assessments and feedback, and what helpful resources, tools and advice are available, so you are #UoBeReady for assessment season. Find out more about how you can be UoBeReady.
Update on Industrial action
We understand that the prospect of industrial action might cause you some concern, and we would like to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to minimise the impact on you and your studies and keeping you up to date along the way. The latest update includes strike dates and a range of helpful FAQs.
Read the latest update
Who won the Lego Old Joe?
Congratulations to Jonathan Graham who won an exclusive Lego Old Joe in our recent prize draw in celebration of the UoBe Festival 2022 launch. Did you catch the exciting launch? Visit the intranet pages to find out more, watch the sneak peek video and see how you can get involved.
UoBe Festival 2022
Information for International Students
CAS deadline 2021
If you are a student whose current student visa is due to expire during the upcoming University Christmas closed period, the latest date you can request CAS and a visa documents check will be Wednesday 8 December 2021. In order to submit your documents to be checked on or before the 8 December 2021, you must log an enquiry online. Please ensure you input the following text in the subject box ‘URGENT CAS REQUEST student visa expires [enter your visa expiry date here]’. The University will re-open fully from Tuesday 4 January 2022 when any requests received after 8 December 2021 will begin to be processed.
Birmingham 2022 paid student opportunities
Get involved in next years Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, a once in a lifetime chance to work at a large global event. We have a range of paid roles exclusively for UoB students available across our Accommodation, Cleaning, Food and Beverage, and Community Living teams.
UoBe Festival: Campus Run entries now open
Whether you walk, run, push or skip your way to the finish line, be part of our fun 5km run. The Campus Run will be the launch event for UoBe Festival 2022. Get involved in this challenging and exciting course taking place around campus, including the Green Heart and the Vale Village.
Find out more and sign up
Dates for your diary
Christmas Media Ball with the Guild of Students
Tuesday 7 December, 7-11pm, Birmingham Botanical Gardens
The countdown to Christmas is on! Join the Guild for the exciting and festive Christmas Media Ball held at the wonderful Birmingham Botanical Gardens. Tickets are limited to this exclusive event so don’t miss out! Get your tickets today.
Commuter students social
Wednesday 8 December, 1-3pm, Mermaid Bar, Guild of Students
Calling all commuter students! Come along to the commuter students social at the Mermaid bar. This is a fantastic opportunity to mingle and network with other commuter students. Find out more and book.
Thursday 9 December, 6-7.30pm, Owsley Room, Bournbrook Pavilion
Unsure who to live with next year? Don’t worry, the guild housemate finder is an excellent opportunity to meet new people, and potential housemates! Pop down for a series of games and activities to break the ice and get to know other students. Find out more.
Demystifying Disability and Careers
Wednesday 15 December 12noon-1pm, online via Zoom
Hear from two alumni that will talk about hidden disabilities and their experience of developing their career, followed by a panel discussion and Q&A. Register your place.
Guest lecture: Afghanistan health system
Monday 20 December, 12noon-1pm, Lecture Theatre 1, Alan Walters Building
Join Dr Nasrullah Orya, CEO of Aga Khan Health Services Afghanistan (an international NGO) as he talks through Afghanistan’s health system and the issues it is currently facing. This face-to-face lecture will also be live streamed but not recorded. Sign up here.
Shut up and work sessions
If you are working hard to get ready for exams in the new year, or to meet some pre- or post-Christmas deadlines, our Shut Up and Work sessions are running throughout December to support you - you can find out more, join us, or even run your own sessions over the Christmas break through our PGR or PGT MS Teams site.
Christmas activities for PG students
Get into the Christmas spirit with the University Graduate School this December! Postgraduate researchers are invited to join the Westmere Scholars at the PGR Christmas Party for Christmas games and food in the festive surroundings of Westmere House. And if you're a PGT staying on campus over the Christmas break, our Christmas on Campus social is the perfect chance to meet other PGT students, including our PGT Ambassadors, and enjoy some British Christmas traditions!
Christmas at Cathedral Square
Head down to Cathedral Square for an exiting programme of music and film events to celebrate Christmas, you can also enjoy an outdoor market featuring crafts, gifts and food and drink stalls. Why not also grab a drink at the pop-up pub ‘Pigeon in the Park’?
Explore Cathedral Square
- What to do if your teaching session does not go ahead due to industrial action. If teaching does not go ahead as timetabled, in order for us to consider alternative provision for your learning, please notify your Education Support Office by either scanning the QR codes in teaching rooms or completing the online form.
- Update on your examinations timetable. For information and details about your examinations, please visit the examinations web pages where your examination timetable information will be available. See your timetable.
- Wellbeing survey reminder. As part of our commitment to the initiative 'Making It Happen’, we are really interested in your awareness and views on wellbeing support at the University in relation to the services that are available. Take the 10-minute survey to have your say (survey closes Friday 3 December). Take the survey.
- Visit Winterbourne House and Gardens. Pop into Winterbourne to grab some extra special gifts for Christmas, plus there’s mince pies and festive fare to enjoy in the tearoom too! Entry into the gardens is free for UoB students, simply show your ID card on arrival. Visit Winterbourne.
- Make sure your information is updated. Keep an eye on your inbox as term-time address reminder emails will be sent out to students who have not updated their term-time address information. Update yours in the online registration portal.
- Student Bus travel tips. Travelling round by bus? Here’s 7 top tips to get the most of the Brum bus network. Read our travel tips.
- Updated advice on face coverings for students. In the UK the Government has announced the temporary introduction of precautionary measures in response to the emergence of the Omicron variant of Covid-19. Read the latest update here.
- Have your say and win an Amazon voucher. Provide us with feedback on your digital experience to help shape future digital developments at the University and to be in with the chance of winning a £500 or £100 Amazon voucher. Complete the survey (password is Bham2021).