The Brum Bulletin - Your student newsletter
We hope you've enjoyed the first week of Semester Two.
It was great seeing so many of you unwind and have fun at this year's UoBe Festival. With over 280 campus and online activity sessions including Pets as Therapy, the Winter Carnival and the Campus Run, there really was something for everyone. Can you spot yourself in our highlights video below?
We're now counting down to the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games - can you believe there's only six months to go?! Keep reading to learn more about what's happening this summer and the many ways you can get involved.
As always, this is another jam-packed issue full of interesting stories and updates. So sit back, relax and enjoy the read!
Update on industrial action
We understand that the prospect of industrial action might cause you some concern, and we would like to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to minimise the impact on you and your studies and keeping you up to date along the way. Read the latest update here.
Relive UoBe Festival 2022
We hope you enjoyed UoBe Festival as much as we did! Couldn't make it or want to relive the week again? Check out our highlights film.
Get £2k in funding for your projects!
Are you part of a student group, planning to deliver an exciting activity in 2022? Do you need additional funding to make it a reality? Don't miss out on applying for the Alumni Impact Fund - applications close on Monday 14 February.
Find out more
The Guild of Students is recruiting!
Do you want to develop your transferrable skills and earn some money alongside your studies? Well, this is the perfect opportunity! There are a number of fantastic roles available so please take a look at the job descriptions and complete an application today.
Find out more and apply
Birmingham 2022 - six months to go!
By now you are probably all aware of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games taking place this summer, right here in Brum. Learn more about what this means for you and how you can 'Get set for the Games'.
Find out more
Have Your Say: NSS & UKES Surveys
Your feedback really does help to make a difference in shaping student experience. Find out how you can have your say through either the NSS or UKES surveys, open now to eligible undergraduate students.
Have your say
Dates for your diary
International Students session
Thursday 10 February, 12-1pm, online via Zoom
Are you an International student at UoB? Would you like to know what it’s like to be an Officer as an International student, and how to apply for a role? Come along to this session to have all of your questions answered by Wei-Lun Chen, your current International Students' Officer! Sign up today.
LGBTIQ+ students with a refugee status
Thursday 10 February 2022, 7pm – 8pm, online
As part of our Virtual EDI Festival 2022, a month-long celebration to embrace the diversity of our community, this webinar will look at the challenges facing Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer (LGBTIQ+) students around the world who have fled violence or persecution and are seeking refuge, in finding a new home. Find out more and sign up.
February also marks LGBTQ+ History Month. Throughout the month, we have a varied and exciting programme of events. See the full programme for LGBTQ+ History Month.
Self-defence classes for female and non-binary students
Wednesday 16 February, 6-8pm, Guild of Students dance studio
Your Community Wardens are very excited to bring back our free self-defence classes, in collaboration with Taekwondo Team Saja. These are beginner classes for anybody who wants to improve their personal confidence and learn skills to help them stay safe. This session is for female and non-binary students only. Book your session today.
The Dangerous Novel: Printmaking with Laura Onions
Wednesday 9 March, 2-4.30pm, Barber Institute of Fine Arts
Unleash your creative side and join artist Laura Onions for two hands-on workshops, that involve making your own vibrant prints to celebrate International Women’s Day in March. Book your place.
What's on in Brum
Birmingham Open Media is a centre for art, technology and science, dedicated to creative innovation with purpose. Visit today to explore free workshops and exhibitions in the heart of Birmingham.
Come along to PG Yoga, every Monday 4-5pm on Zoom. Led by an experienced instructor, its a perfect way to start your week with balance and focus. Open to all postgraduate students. Sign up here!
The PGR Big Quiz of the Year
Join fellow PGR students at this fun quiz on Friday 11 February 7-9.30pm. This is a chance to meet other PGRs online and test your general knowledge, led by our Westmere Scholars. Find out more.
Our PGT Café is back! Come along and meet new people in this fun networking session, taking place on Friday 18 February, 3-5pm in the Guild of Students, Mermaid Bar.
Sign up and see our other upcoming events exclusively for Postgraduate students.
- Last chance to nominate a Batonbearer. The deadline to nominate a fellow student, member of staff or graduate to be a Batonbearer for the Birmingham 2022 Queen's Baton Relay, is fast approaching! Submit your nomination by Monday 14 February.
- Join our global Hackathon: Do you have a passion for the planet? Learn how you can join our global Hackathon and tackle some of our planet’s most significant challenges! Find out more.
- Who won our recent prize draw? Congratulations to Georgina Harrop who won our recent student prize draw of £150 Amazon vouchers. Thank you to over 1,200 students who completed the Student Communications survey. Your feedback will help shape how we communicate with you.
- Take part in this focus group and get a £20 Amazon voucher. Do you like studying with your phone? Does it help or distract you? We are really interested to hear how you feel about technology-based learning and how your response to non-study based content. Find out more and sign up.
- Join Team UoB at the Great Birmingham Run. Join students, staff, alumni, and the wider UoB community as part of #TeamUoB at The Great Birmingham Run on Sunday 1 May 2022. Whatever your pace, join in the fun. Join Team UoB.
- Join our focus groups to help shape our next recruitment advertising campaign. We love talking to our students, so we can understand the many factors that influenced you in choosing UoB. We're inviting you to attend a focus group session, where we’ll share some potential advertisement campaigns to gain your thoughts and opinions! And as a little thank you – there’s a chance to win a UoB hoodie. Register your interest.