How do you get experience in an ‘industry’ if employers would like you to have experience before they employ you?
The InternMatch Programme is the answer.
The University of Birmingham is working with InternMatch to match international students to UK companies for real-world work experience and skill development. Your placement could be related to your degree discipline, in a sector or career area of interest!
The InternMatch programme offers an unpaid, short voluntary placement and employability workshops. It will take place from February to April 2024, part-time, in between your studies.
Over 50 placements are available!
Who is the InternMatch programme aimed at?
- International second year undergraduate students or international third year international students on a four year course
- With no or limited work experience
- Committed to undertaking the placement to learn and develop employability skills, gain insights, and professional networks with a UK company.
How will the programme be delivered?
- The experience is likely to be virtual.
- Maximum of 140 hours (20 days), taken flexibly around your studies, for up to 12 weeks. Ideally 2 days a week is preferred.
- You will have a company supervisor to guide you and a member from InternMatch assisting you in the process.
- Workshops are available to help you develop your CV; LinkedIn profile and to enhance relationship building skills.
- Successful applicants will start in early February 2024. To finish no later than April 2024.
What you’ll gain
- Transferable skills development
- Building of knowledge related to your areas/sector of interest.
- An insight into a real UK company and what they do
- professional networks, communicating and learning with others
- A valuable professional and personal development opportunity
Successful applicants will be matched to a company following a consultation and short interview.
Want to find out more?
There is a Zoom information session running by InternMatch on Wednesday 6 December from 14:00 – 15:00. Find out more about the event and register.
Please note, once you have booked your place on Careers Connect, you will also need to register via the link provided in the Careers Connect, InternMatch Virtual Information Session, event description.
Want to apply?
Open now for applications until 23:59 on Monday 11 December 2023.
Apply for InternMatch here
Steps to securing the short voluntary placement
- Complete the Expression of Interest. InternMatch will then get in touch.
- Provide your CV to help being matched to a host organisation
- You may be required to send a very short simple video (30 seconds) introducing yourself. This could be using zoom. It is not to test your technology skills, but your confidence, having your camera on, as the experience is very likely to be virtual.
- Consultation with InternMatch towards being matched
- Interview with a host organisation
- Successful applicants complete the short voluntary placement
Note regarding your visa
As an international student on a student visa, it is important that you understand and have an awareness of any restrictions you need to follow on your student visa. It is the responsibility of applicants on a visa to ensure they comply with their visa requirements. Visit the International Student Team (IST) website on Working during your Studies
The work experience team at Careers Network are working in collaboration with InternMatch and may be in contact with you about your experience. Do get in touch if you have any questions about this programme.
The University of Birmingham has a data sharing agreement with InternMatch. To find out how InternMatch uses your data, please view their privacy notice on InternMatch’s website.