Certificate Information


Graduation Degree certificates

A degree certificate is an award gained at the University of Birmingham and conferred upon you at one of the University’s Degree Congregations (or by Special Warrant).

If you attend your Degree Congregation in person, you will be given a certificate and transcript during the ceremony. If you are unable to attend the Congregation in person, or your degree is conferred by Special Warrant, you will be given the opportunity to have your certificate and transcript posted to you after the ceremony. Please note it is not possible to receive your certificate before the ceremony has taken place.

For further information, please see: Graduation documents.


I have not received my degree certificate


If you have provided a delivery address but have not yet received your documents, then we ask that you allow enough time for delivery before you report your documents as lost. July graduates will be able to report their documents as lost from 1 October to 31 October. December graduates will be able to report their documents lost from 1 March to 31 March.

The form that you can use to report your documents as lost will be added to the graduation documents webpage when it next goes live.

Non-Graduatable certificates

A Non-Graduatable award is an award gained at the University of Birmingham on a programme which does not need to be conferred at a graduation ceremony. The award will include both your transcript of marks and degree certificate. These programmes can be at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. 

Non-graduatable award types

  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education
  • University Certificate
  • University Diploma
  • Advanced Certificate
  • Postgraduate Certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PG Dip Ed)
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Diploma

When will I receive my certificate?

Following the Board of Examiners decision that you have successfully completed your programme, your School will update your record. Your award will then appear in Online Results on the Student Gateway.

Taught Student Administration will then arrange for your certificate and transcript to be posted out to you. This normally takes 6-8 weeks from when your record has been updated.

If you have not received your certificate and transcript by this time, please email securedocuments@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

How will my certificate be posted?

Your certificate will be posted via Royal Mail 2nd class or airmail (if you are based overseas) and will be posted out to your ‘home’ address. It is therefore very important to keep your address details up-to-date, using Online Registration

If you require a trackable delivery service, we also offer delivery by DHL courier for an additional fee. If you would like us to send your documents via DHL, please order the Online Shop: DHL for non graduatable award.

Replacement certificates

If your course commenced in 2002 or later, you can access electronic versions of your degree documents from our Secure Documents website, and order replacement hard copies. For detailed instructions, please see these articles:

If your course commenced before 2002, please order replacement certificates from our Online Shop, using this link: Pre-2002 replacement certificates .

If you studied at University College Birmingham (UCB), and received a degree which was accredited by the University of Birmingham, please order replacement certificates from this link: Replacement UCB certificates.

New certificate design (2016 onwards)

Following 2014 degree congregations, the University received feedback from a variety of sources that our students would welcome a more attractive degree certificate at graduation, which incorporated additional security features to prevent fabrication. The University consulted with a major supplier of secure documents, and all students graduating from July 2016 will receive a new style, secure University of Birmingham degree certificate.

All replacement certificates will be produced to the new design.



To prevent fraud and misuse, the University withholds the right to decline requests for replacement certificates should you have already requested a replacement certificate.



Professional Services