Leave of absence

Information about taking a leave of absence and what you need to do when you return.

Applying for a leave of absence

If you are considering temporarily withdrawing from the University, you will need to discuss this matter with your tutor / supervisor in your School. 

You will need to complete the application for a leave of absence form, available to download on this page, and send this to your School. 

After your School has approved your leave of absence it is your responsibility to ensure that the form is passed to a member of the Taught Student Administration team. Taught Student Administration will then process the leave of absence and notify Housing Services (for students in University accommodation only), the finance office and the student's Local Authority (LA) - if applicable. You will then receive email confirmation from Taught Student Administration that your leave of absence has been processed.

You must give valid reasons and provide supporting evidence – please refer to Section 6 of the Code of Practice on Leave of Absence Procedures. Applications without appropriate supporting evidence will not be considered and will be returned. Evidence that is not in English must be translated into English by a certified translator.

Tuition Fee Liability

The Tuition Fee Liability web-page provides information about the University’s Fee Liability Policy for students who withdraw or take leave of absence. Please consult this page for information about the fee you will be charged.


Returning from a leave of absence

If you have been on a leave of absence due to medical reasons, you will need to provide your School with a copy of a medical note confirming that you are fit to resume your programme of study. 

When the return has been agreed please complete the return from leave of absence form, available to download on this page, and get it signed by your personal tutor who will then forward it to Taught Student Administration so that your record can be updated. 

If your leave of absence was not for medical reasons, please return to Taught Student Administration, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT. 

When your record has been updated we will send you an email confirming that you will be able to register online at www.my.bham.ac.uk

Can't find what you're looking for?

If you are unable to find the information that you're searching for on our site, you can submit an Online Enquiry to an Enquiry Officer who will be able to answer your questions.