Overseen by: International Students’ Advisory Service (ISAS)
All new international (non-EU) students are required to have a Right to Study (RTS) check when they arrive at the University, where their right to study in the UK is confirmed via their passport and/or visa. Staff check documents against a set of defined criteria. Once complete, students receive their student ID card.
The majority of new students are also required by law to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which acts as their visa whilst they are in the UK. They collect these either from a Post Office, or from campus. Where students collect them from campus, they will make an appointment with ISAS to receive their BRP from staff, who then also conduct their RTS check and produce their ID card.
Staff volunteers are required to support ISAS with these processes, with full training provided.
Types of activities may include:
- Conducting RTS checks (checking documents and updating records in Banner)
- Distributing BRPs at pre-booked appointments
- Queue management
- Staff with experience (or who wish to gain experience) of working with international students
- Staff with experience of student records or other confidential information
- Staff with an interest in student administration
- Customer-service oriented staff
Other requirements: Staff involved in BRP will need to provide a copy of their passport.
Dates: Saturday 22 September – Friday 5 October
Minimum time requirement: 3 hours