<< back to Handbook homepage

ID Cards

The University issues photo identity cards to all its students and staff. ID Cards should be worn at all times, whilst you are on University premises. The card has several different functions: proof of ID, acting as a University library card, acting as a membership card for the Munrow Sports Centre, operating building access control systems and operating car park barriers.

Find out more about ID cards.



This is the official University system for registering staff expense claim forms. See Expenses for more information.


All new starters will complete a University induction followed by a College of MDS induction and finally a local induction within the first few days of their appointment. 

New starters are encouraged to visit the University’s New Starters web pages via the HR staff intranet site. A link is available to the online Induction for new staff and this site contains useful information about the University and the facilities and information sources available. It complements the local induction within the Institute and the Central Introduction to the University sessions run for new staff.

Information Security Awareness Training

The University is required to provide security awareness training for all staff and an online course is available via the Canvas virtual learning environment. This course is aimed at giving you the essential information that you will need to protect yourself and work effectively and securely. 

To access the training directly, go to https://canvas.bham.ac.uk/enroll/CL373G. Or go to the Information Security Training page on the intranet at https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/it/security/training.aspx
and click on the Canvas link there. 

Security policies, standards and guidance are available on the IT Services Policy and procedures page.

International Visitors

Any visitor who is hoping to visit the University of Birmingham who is not a UK National, regardless of the reason or duration of the visit, must be assessed through the visa assessment process prior to any formal invitation. A Visa Assessment Form must be completed and sent to MDSVisas@contacts.bham.ac.uk. You can get a Visa Assessment Form from your Visa Champion. Email MDSVisas to find out who this is.

In cases where no permissions (or incorrect permissions) have been obtained, a compliance report will be completed and sent to the International Student Team (IST) and the University Institutional Compliance Group which reports to the University Executive Board and potentially to the UK Visas and Immigration.

Please note, neither MDSVisas, nor the International Student Team (IST), are able to give visa advice to UoB staff travelling abroad. IST are experts in UK Immigration Law but not the laws or application procedures in other countries. See Foreign Travel for more information.

IT Backup

For information on how to store data in compliance with University expectations, information security requirements and data proection and information security, please refer to the IT service desk or call 0121 412 7171.

IT Support / IT Service Desk

IT problems/faults/requests/general queries

For any IT problems/faults/requests/general queries, the best option is to log a call via the online IT service desk. Alternatively, during normal work hours you can telephone the IT service desk on extension 47171 (from an external line telephone 0121 414 7171).

IT equipment and software - purchasing

Should you wish to purchase any IT equipment or software, please log an IT service desk call detailing the equipment or software you wish to purchase. IT will then provide you with details of suitable/approved products and a quote. Please do not purchase any IT/computing equipment or software without going via IT.

General information

University computing and/or network resources are provided for University purposes which means: 'those concerned with undergraduate, postgraduate or other courses, research, personal education, development, administration or other work authorised by the Head of Budget Centre.'

A copy of the University's IT policies, standards and guidance can be accessed at: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/it/governance/policy/index.aspx.

The University of Birmingham General Conditions of Use of Computing and Network Facilities document can be accessed at: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/it/documents/public/General-Conditions-of-Use-of-Computing-and-Network-Facilities.pdf

<< back to Handbook homepage


Professional Services