Over the past few months staff from across the University have been working together to complete the planning for Welcome 2014 in September. There will be a wide range of events and activities during this period to welcome our new students, their parents/friends/relatives and welcome back our returning students for the 2014/2015 academic year.
Arrivals Weekend 20-21 September
The main University campus will be open to new students and their families, with events, activities and catering outlets available. There will be:
- Welcome Addresses for parents of new students
- A Welcome Marquee showcasing welcome information from Colleges and Support Services who will provide a range of student support and student information stands (located in Chancellor’s Court).
- Welcome Hubs for International/EU (Avon Room, University Centre) and UK students (Mason Lounge, Arts Building) to ensure that students can obtain their ID cards, visa holders have their right to study checks, students can access letters to confirm their status as a student, and any questions they may have can be answered.
- The Guild is hosting events to facilitate networking and interaction between students who are less likely to engage in wider event provision. These include networking events for Students with Children and Mature UG students.
- Campus and orientation tours for students and their parents.
- International Student Help Desk (located in the Welcome Marquee).
- A diverse range of events and activities offered in Halls of Residences across the campus and at the Guild of Students.
Welcome Week 22-26 September
There will be a range of activities including Vice-Chancellor’s Welcome Addresses (one per College) for new undergraduate students, Welcome Hubs and the Welcome Information Marquee. During Welcome Week there are also College based induction events, activities in Halls of Residence, events organised by the Guild of Students and much more. Colleagues in Colleges are politely reminded to promote and encourage bookings from their students for the relevant VC Welcome Address.
International Day 24 September
Located in the Marquee, the theme of International Day 2014 is “every University of Birmingham student is an international student” and highlight the opportunities to learn a language, volunteer or study abroad, collaborate with students abroad virtually, engage with world class teaching/research, work with global employers, engage with a student mentor/buddy or international societies. Information will be available on the university being a global institution with a focus on key strategic regions and initiatives. Finally, learning and living in a diverse city involving College activities including space to write who has inspired student, nationally and internationally, where students are from, 50 things to do before you leave Birmingham and games/activities.
Events will take place across the campus linking International Day together.
The Welcome Back Hub 29 September to 3 October
Avon Coffee Lounge, University Centre, will be open to support our returning students with obtaining replacement ID cards, right to study visa checks (where required) student status letters, Registration queries and information about council tax.
Please do not hesitate to contact Helen Eastham on 0121 414 6939 if you want to find out more about the plans for Welcome 2014.
Welcome Resources for staff
Main Welcome Website