What is Birmingham Scholar?
The Birmingham Scholar programme is an initiative to provide bespoke support and development for Pathways to Birmingham students, Care Experienced students, Realising Opportunities students and Sanctuary Scholarship students.
Birmingham Scholar aims to provide fair and equitable access to the University resulting in a diverse and well qualified student population, and equality of opportunity for all our students to achieve their full academic potential and to successfully realise their post-University ambitions.
The programme offers a range opportunities for approximately 3600 students under four themes (or pillars) which seek to enrich key aspects of the student journey.
Birmingham Scholars on their Summer 2023 internship in Hong Kong.
Birmingham Scholars receieve tailored study support from the Academic Skills Centre including:
- Up to six one-to-one appointments and academic skills workshops each academic year.
- Access to Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS).
- Skills development for numerical reasoning.
Birmingham Scholars are also entitled to 5 additional Personal Academic Tutor sessions, as well as a range of other exclusive opportunities within their colleges.
Birmingham Scholars can engage in a range of exclusive personal and professional development opportunities such as alumni mentoring and priority application for insternships, and a number of international work and study abroad opportunities.
University is not all about study, Birmingham Scholars will have exclusive access to various opportunities to make some memories and just have fun.
For Birmingham Scholars thinking about life beyond the University, Careers Network offers a range of exclusive opportunities, including:
How does Birmingham Scholar work?
Opportunities will be posted via the monthly Birmingham Scholar Newsletter, and via the dedicated canvas course. This could include sessions from the Academic Skills Centre, study abroad opportunities, mentoring and careers opportunities, so keep an eye out for all the updates coming your way. All Birmingham Scholars are automatically subscribed to the Newsletter, and will receive invites to the canvas course.
Getting the most out of Birmingham Scholar.
To get the most out of being a Birmingham Scholar, get involved in as much as you can and make the most out of opportunities. Make sure to do activities from each of the four pillars (Study, Growth, Fun, and Beyond), as this will give you the most effective Scholar experience. And don't forget to follow us on Instagram (@Diversity_UoB) and X (@EqualityUoB)
If you have any questions about Birmingham Scholar, don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join us for the Birmingham Scholar Welcome event 2023
- Welcome from the careers team here at the University. We are a super friendly team and keen to meet you all. You may have met some of us as part of your Pathways to Birmingham programme – it's our job to show you the range of incredible opportunities open to you with your degree.
- We support you to develop your study skills. Explore our services, including welcome workshops, one-one appointments, and peer support.