Visa information for students

Most international students need a student visa to study in the UK, there are different types of visas depending on your criteria and length of study. Finding out whether you need a visa to study is easy - simply check here on  the website. Your student visa will allow you to live and study in the UK throughout your course.

Student route visa

If you are 16 or over and want to study at higher education level, you’ll need to apply for a Student Route visa through the Student Route. From 5 October 2020, the Student Route has replaced the Tier 4 Route. The Student Route falls under the UK's new points-based immigration system.

You need to wait until you have an offer from Birmingham before applying for a visa. The University will then be able to give you a document called a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). You will need to complete an application and have it accepted before you arrive in the UK.

You can apply for a student visa up to six months before your course starts.  Find out more about student visas on the website.

The UK government has also published guidance for EU students on the points-based immigration system. Find out more about studying in the UK as an EU student here.

More information on the Student Route Visa

Applying for a visa

As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have.

You’ll either:

  • give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre
  • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document - you’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account

You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.

For the further information on the application process can be found on the website. 

Applying for a student visa

Short-term student route (previously short-term study visas)

Short-term student route visas are available to students who want to join courses that are up to six months long or English language courses up to 11 months long. Short term study visas may also apply to students on a distance learning course who may want to visit the Birmingham campus for a short period of time.

Find out more about the short-term student route

Graduate route visa

For graduates looking to seek employment in the UK after completing their students you may be eligible for a Graduate Route visa. More information on the graduate route visa including FAQs can be found below. 

Graduate Route visa 

There are also visas for dependents and graduation, to see the full list of visas, how to apply to Birmingham and how to get specific support from the International Student Team, please see the website below. 

Visa information for students

More information on visa requirements can be found on the below pages.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) 

Academic Progression

Protecting your visa

Extending your visa

Lost Passport or BRP



Professional Services