Visas for visiting the University of Birmingham

The University of Birmingham is proud to invite esteemed visitors from all over the world, to engage with our staff in teaching, research, collaboration and business. In order to ensure that our visitors apply for and travel on the correct visas, we conduct visa assessments. These assessments take into account the type of visitor, the duration of the visit and the activities to be conducted.

If you are due to travel to the University of Birmingham and are not a citizen or national of the EEA or Switzerland, please contact the staff member who would like to invite you and ensure they have arranged a visa assessment for your visit. They can find out how to do this on the Visas for Visitors staff webpages (A University of Birmingham Staff Login is required). 

Travel to the England

If you are travelling to England you will be aware the UK Government has imposed travel rules.  It is your responsibility to check these rules for travelling from abroad to England and, depending on whether you are travelling from a red, amber or green list country, what visa type you can travel to the UK on and if you are subject to quarantine on arrival.  Visit the government website for more information.

If you are travelling from a red list country and you have been assessed as Standard visitor (visit for less than 6 months) for the purpose of undertaking activities such as study, personal research, conference, pre-arranged meeting then you will not be permitted to travel to the UK.  You will need to continue to monitor the Government website and once the country is off the red list you can liaise with your College contact to be issued with a new invitation letter with your revised visit dates.

 Non-Visa Nationals

If you are a citizen of a country not considered a "Visa National" Country (some examples include the US, Canada, Brazil, Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore) you may be used to travelling to the UK without applying for a visa in advance (for visits of less than 6 months).  You are still required to have a visa assessment completed to visit the University of Birmingham.

When you travel through the UK border, you will receive a stamp in your passport. This stamp is a visa and can vary. If you are given the incorrect version of this stamp, you will not be able to do the activity you are visiting us for. Therefore, we will supply you with a letter to present at the border. This letter can also be used in your application for a visa prior to travel if you wish to apply for a visa in advance. This is used by border control and embassies to verify the genuine nature of your visit.

If you have any questions or queries about this process, please contact us.


Professional Services