Brum Bulletin - 19 October 2022
The Brum Bulletin - Your student newsletter
In this issue...
- Talk travel and win prizes
- Explore our study spaces on campus
- Win an afternoon tea for two at Winterbourne House and Garden
- Our pick of events
- Plus lots more...
Got an exciting story to share? Find out how you can send in your suggestions and our publishing dates.
Making it Happen
From space for group work, to more food and drink options, here are some of the changes we’ve made to our library and study spaces, following your feedback. Read more
Black History Month (BHM)
Vice-Chancellor Adam Tickell and President of the Guild Acacia Matthews discuss the importance of supporting and celebrating BHM in this joint statement. Read full statement
2022 Travel Survey
Tell us about your journey into campus and you could win prizes including a tasting-menu-for-two at the award-winning Lasan restaurant in the Jewellery Quarter! Tell me more
Are you a disabled student? Join our new Disabled Student Contribution Group and help us improve your student experience. Learn More
Being a Good Neighbour
Ahead of Housing Week, Community Warden (and student) Cara shares her top tips about living in the community. Read blog
Race Equality Charter survey
Regardless of your ethnicity, this is an opportunity for all students to share your experiences of diversity and inclusion at UoB. Have your say
Welcome to our Postgraduate section. Here you can find the latest updates specifically for taught (PGT) and research (PGR) postgraduates.
University Graduate School Semester One events
PGTs can now find the full programme of PGT Essentials workshops and PGT Cafe socials in our PGT Eventbrite collection
Join us online for critical thinking, employability and academic writing workshops, and on campus for socials welcoming PGTs returning to education after a break, and commuting to and from campus.
For PGRs, our Eventbrite collection is filling up, with more events still to be announced. Join us for the launch of The PGR Brunch Club and PGR Film Club in October and look out for more PhD Chats in semester one. Keep an eye on our Twitter (UoBGradSchool) for announcements of writing support and workshops for academic writing month in November #AcriWriMo.
Thinking about postgraduate careers?
For both PGTs and PGRs looking into academia and industry, Careers Network have announced their range of workshops, masterclasses, and drop-ins to help you hone and make the most of your postgraduate skills for the future. View Semester One calendar.
EUniWell Thesis Prizes for PhD students
EUniWell, the European University for Well-Being, is giving two UoB PhD students the chance of winning £500 and a trip to a professional seminar on “Science Communication” at Nantes University. Find out more about the Research Thesis Prizes and how to enter
Careers support for international students
Jobs for international students
We’ve partnered with International student job portal, Student Circus, which advertises graduate jobs, placements and internships across a range of sectors and company sizes. Whether you wish to work in the UK or your home country, find out more and sign up.
Preparing you for your future
Thinking of working in the UK after your degree? Specialist immigration solicitors from Paragon Law will deliver an online session about your options, including the Graduate Route Visa. Taking place on Thursday 3 November, book your place now via Careers Connect.
English for Employability: Job interviews workshop
Speaking English with confidence is an important skill in the workplace. Organised by the Birmingham International Academy and supported by Careers Network, come along to this workshop to prepare for job interviews. You don’t need to book, just turn up.
- Monday 24 October 2022, 4pm-5pm
- Location: Strathcona Lecture Theatre 1 (R18 on campus map)
Where can I study?
From the JG Smith building to the Wolfson Room, join us in exploring some of our study spaces on campus. Watch video.
Our Diary Picks
You can find more about all upcoming student events by visiting the What’s on for students page.
- Sexuality, race and place in Birmingham, Thursday 27 October, 6.30-8.30pm, PwC Suite, Birmingham Hippodrome, B5 4TB. Join UoB researchers Julie Whiteman and Elliot Evans at the Hippodrome for engaging discussions including how cities shape every aspect of our lives, and learn more about Birmingham’s rich and diverse LGBTQ+ community. Book your free place.
- Pride not Prejudice, Wednesday 2 November, 1.30-3pm, Arts Main Lecture Theatre and Zoom: From Heartstopper Volume 1 by Alice Oseman to Misfits: A Personal Manifesto by Michaela Coel, join the College of Arts and Law for a vibrant panel discussion around the themes explored in these and three other books. Register your free place.
- The Phenomenon of the Peaky Blinders, Thursday 3 November, 7-9pm, Nortons Digbeth, Birmingham, B5 5LS: By order of the Peaky Blinders! If you're a fan of the TV series, don't miss this evening of music and talks from UoB academics who will help to unpick the Peaky Blinders phenomenon and share their thoughts on the lasting effect of the series on our city and region. Book your free place.
What's on in Brum
On Friday 21 and Saturday 22 October, enjoy the Diwali festivities at the Bullring & Grand Central in partnership with Birmingham Hippodrome. There'll be dhol drummers, dances, light puppets, creative workshops, and fireworks! Find out more
The Selly Express is back
Use the Guild's free shuttle bus for a safe and convenient journey home from campus! You can catch the bus at the back of the main library between 6pm-12am every hour.
New campus safety app
SafeZone is available to download now a handy app where you can check in to a location, discreetly and quickly call for security assistance, or report anything that doesn’t look right.
SMART Recovery Group
SMART stands for Self Management and Recovery Training and is a group programme for anyone who is struggling with addiction (anything that feels like it’s getting in the way of living your life). Reach out and come along to a session.
Giveaway: Tea for two
Don’t miss out on your chance to win a delicious afternoon tea at Winterbourne House and Garden for two. Get your entries in by 12pm on Wednesday 26 October. Ts&Cs apply Enter Now
If you have any suggestions for the student newsletter please email firstname.lastname@example.org.