Information for all students [Edgbaston, Birmingham campus]
As a mark of respect, the University will be recognising the National Bank Holiday on Monday 19 September. We want to support all those students and staff who want to pay their respects to HM Queen Elizabeth II by allowing as much flexibility as possible to observe the Bank Holiday.
We are also aware that many of you will have recently arrived or returned to Birmingham, and you will have been expecting day one of our Welcome Week.
So, while this will not be a typical Welcome Week Monday, the campus will be open, and some events and activities will still be taking place throughout the day.
All scheduled teaching and your school and department induction activities on Monday 19 September will be paused and rescheduled. This is to make sure that none of you will miss any important teaching or induction events.
Other helpful services and activities to support your welcome and return to Birmingham will be open, including -
- The Main Library will be open between 0800 – 2000 hours
- The Barnes Library in the Medical School will be open between 1000 – 1600 hours.
- Our Welcome Registration Hub on the Green Heart will be open between 1000 – 1600 hours.
- Our Wellbeing Marquee in Chancellor's Court will be open between 1000 – 1600 hours.
- Our Welcome Information Point kiosks will be open if you need any help finding your way around.
- Scheduled Campus Tours will take place in the afternoon - after the State Funeral.
- Scheduled airport collection services for International Students will operate as planned.
- Selected catering outlets will be open across the campus.
- Meet and Greet and 24/7 support at our accommodation sites will remain open.
- The Sports & Fitness Centre will be operating “Bank Holiday” hours - see website.
- The Guild of Students will be adapting its planned activities on the day and for more information on what will be available you can visit their website.
We will be offering a live screening of the State Funeral for all students who might want to watch this together in the Elgar Concert Hall, Bramall Music Building (Aston Webb Building) The State Funeral is expected to commence at 1100 a.m. and we will open the venue and live streaming from 1030 a.m.
You can find more details, as they become available, on our Welcome webpages.
Our Welcome Pages are still being updated, but we wanted to let you know as soon as possible what our arrangements would be for this significant day. You are all very welcome to join us on campus for information and support, to join us to share in watching the State Funeral together, to visit the Library or just to find your way around.
We can also confirm that the University sites at Selly Oak and The Shakespeare Institute in Stratford will be closed for the Bank Holiday on Monday 19 September.
For all students, at any time, our emotional support line UB Heard will be operating normally – and you can find more information about all of our support services at our Time to Talk webpages.
Our full Welcome Programme will resume on Tuesday 20 September and you can check our webpages, social media channels and MyUoB App for the most up to date information.
Thank you for all of your understanding and kindness and we are delighted to be welcoming you in Birmingham for the start of the new academic year.