Registering with a doctor

Registering with a local GP (General Practitioner - doctor) practice will make sure you are able to access healthcare when you need to. A GP can provide support for your mental and physical health, and they are usually the first health service you should contact when you are experiencing a problem.

You should register with a GP near to where you spend most of your time, which is likely to be your term-time address. Don't wait until you feel unwell, register with a doctor as soon as possible.

Information on Covid vaccinations

Everyone aged 18 and over is now able to book their Covid vaccine. It is strongly encouraged that students get their vaccinations to protect themselves and others on campus, you can book an appointment through the NHS website

Vaccine for international students

International students who live in the UK are strongly advised to register with a GP (General Practitioner) as soon as they arrive, you will also need to pay a surcharge to be able to access NHS healthcare services, you can find out how much surcharge you will need to pay here.  Once registered you willl be able to access the Covid-19 vaccinations in the UK, just as you will be able to access healthcare. More information on vaccinations for international students can be found on on FAQs page


Find a doctor

How to register

Making an appointment 

NHS app

Other healthcare services

Useful resources


Find a doctor

You can find a GP using the NHS's Find a GP services search. Enter your term time postcode to find local practices. There are several to choose from near to the University and the main student areas.

Some GPs only take patients living within a certain area, or can be full, so you may need to try more than one practice. The advantages of registering with a local GP practice near to where you live, include these practices being:

  • Familiar with the process of registering new students at the start of the new academic year. Local practices in the area surrounding the campus have a long history of specialising in student welfare issues.
  • Able to provide continuity of care during your full academic lifetime at the university.
  • Able to offer care by providing online, video, telephone or face to face consultations.
  • Able to provide online access through websites and apps.
  • Able to offer appointments with a range of clinicians such as GPs, nurses, advanced nurse practitioners, therapists & counsellors, physiotherapists & musculoskeletal practitioners, social prescribers and more.
  • Able to offer detailed advice regarding both physical and mental health issues. Most practices have good links to Mental Health Services, both on campus and with wider NHS services.

There are a number of GP practices available locally where students can register for medical services. Registrations are now best done online by visiting your preferred practice’s website and following the instructions. This process is quick and simple and avoids the need to attend the practice in person. Should you need to see a GP urgently, you will need to register with a GP practice. If you have ongoing health issues or take repeat medication for any reason, we would strongly advise that you register with a local GP practice as soon as possible.

GPs near the University

Please see below a list of GPs near to the University and Selly Oak, however there are plenty more around the region to suit wherever you are based. 

University Medical Centre, 5 Pritchatts Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2QU.

Telephone: 0121 687 3055

11 Bournbrook Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, West Midlands, B29 7BL

Telephone: 0121 415 5237

1A Alton Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, West Midlands, B29 7DU

Telephone: 0121 472 0129

2 Reaview Drive, Pershore Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B29 7NT

Telephone: 0121 472 0187

4 York Street, Harborne, Birmingham, West Midlands, B17 0HG

Telephone: 0121 427 5246

How to register

Local GP practices remain continue to remain open despite the current coronavirus pandemic.

You will usually need to complete a registration form, which you can print at home or collect from the GP practice you'd like to register with. There will usually be a receptionist who will explain what you need to do. The form will ask you for your personal details (such as your name, date of birth and address). This is so that the practice can register you as a patient, and so that they can retrieve your medical information. If you are from the UK, it is helpful if you are able to provide your NHS number.

International students will need to show their offer letter or enrolment letter to prove they are a student or obtain a proof of enrolment letter. The latest information on how to access letters can be found on StudentHelp. You will also need to pay a surcharge upfront to be able to access NHS services, you can find out how much surcharge you will need to pay here.

However, because of the current pandemic, local practices are strongly advising that new student registrations should be completed using an online registration form. Please go to the website of your chosen GP practice for further details about the registration process this year and to access the form. Please complete the form as thoroughly as you can.

You will usually be asked about any existing medical conditions you have and your past medical history, for example whether you have asthma or have previously had a serious illness. If you do have existing medical conditions, it may be helpful to bring along details of your diagnosis and treatment. Where possible, international students should try to bring a letter from their doctor explaining any medical conditions or illnesses.

Some GP practices will allow you to pre-register online, although it is likely you will still need to visit in person to complete your registration.

Making an appointment

Each GP practice will have its own system for making appointments. You may be able to book by phone, online or in person. There will usually be a mix of appointments you can book in advance, and appointments which can only be booked on the day. Appointments are usually available during weekdays, although your GP practice may offer evening and weekend appointments too.

Make sure you know how to book an appointment with your GP. You can ask the receptionist, phone the practice or they may have details on their website.

You can request a specific doctor or nurse at the practice. You can also request to see a male or female doctor or nurse if you prefer.

You might find it useful to make notes of what you want to discuss with the GP or questions you want to ask them. If you want to, you can ask a friend or relative to accompany you.

NHS app

Not to be mistaken for the NHS Track and Trace app, the NHSApp is owned and run by the NHS.  It is a simple and secure way to access a range of NHS services on your smartphone or tablet. 

It keeps your data safe and secure.  Once you’ve downloaded the App you will need to set up an NHS login and prove who you are. The app then securely connects to information from your GP surgery.

By linking to your GP record it lets you access your medicines, order repeat prescriptions and indicate whether you wish to donate your organs.  You can also use it to access the NHS111 service and it also shows your (COVID) vaccination status, sometimes called the COVID Pass.  If you don’t yet have it, you can download it from the App Store or Google Play. 

Other healthcare services

GP practices are not the only health service available. There are a range of 'primary care' options available depending on what you need, including GP practices, dentists, walk-in centres, sexual health clinics and pharmacies.

Visit NHS services explained to find out more about the different services. If you are unsure which service you need, you can contact NHS 111 for advice. Call 111 from your phone; the call is free.

Useful resources

  • Feedback and suggestions
    We'd love to know if this page was helpful to you.
  • Was this page useful?


Professional Services