Additional sources of work experience funding

Aside from the University of Birmingham work experience bursaries, there are a range of alternative funding options available to students who may be considering undertaking work experience during the summer months, but who require financial assistance to make it happen.

These may be split into two key areas – those available from within the University of Birmingham and those from external sources.

University of Birmingham sources of funding

The International Office at the University of Birmingham administers funding from Universitas 21 (U21).

Typically, applications for U21 funding begin in the autumn term and may be requested by students seeking financial help for projects overseas.

The University of Birmingham’s Student Funding Office maintains an Undergraduate Funding Database with details of scholarships and bursaries available for undergraduate students may be best suited to you and your personal circumstances.

The Student Funding Office also offers information on funding opportunities for postgraduate students. These include funding through loans, charities and trusts.

Within the College of Social Sciences, the School of Government and Society offers a range of student funding opportunities, including those offered by the University of Birmingham and some from external sources.

External sources of funding

EPSRC Innovation Placements Bursary (for EPS students only)

The Innovation Placements Bursary scheme provides funding for existing Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded postgraduate research (PGR) students at the University of Birmingham to undertake entrepreneurial placements, relevant placements with industry, placements with policy organisations relevant to the government’s Industrial Strategy, placements with SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), or other placements to support and increase the impact arising from doctoral research which is relevant to the Industrial Strategy. Applicants may apply for up to £500 per week to cover costs incurred through undertaking a placement.  Applications can be submitted throughout the year, but will be reviewed and decisions will be made at two points in the year: 31 December and 31 May.  

Find below full details regarding the bursary and the application form:

Intern Group Scholarships

The Intern Group offer grants for their summer/fall programs. Find out more information on the Intern Group Scholarships.

Professional bodies and Learned Societies

There are many professional bodies associated with a wide range of industry sectors which provide funding in various forms. Some professional bodies such as the Society of Biology provide lists of studentships and similar funding opportunities.

Other societies which have provided guidance on funding include, but are not limited to:

Remember that your tutors and other academic staff and students may also know of funding available from external sources, so you may find it helpful to speak with them.

Leverhulme Trust Study Abroad Studentships

The Leverhulme Trust supports students who wish to undertake a period of advanced study or research at a centre of learning anywhere in the world except the UK and the USA.

The Royal Society

The Royal Society is a fellowship of the world's most eminent scientists and is the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence. It provides a wide variety of grant schemes itself as well as information about other organisations which may be able to assist.

Research Councils

Some research councils may offer funding, depending on the nature of the opportunity you are going to undertake (often this will be more appropriate to research activity and may also require you to be enrolled on a postgraduate course). The website provides more information.

The Nuffield Foundation offers up to 1,000 research placement grants per year.


Professional Services