It pays to do some research into your chosen career sector and to keep updated on trends in the graduate labour market. The following links provide labour market information and intelligence across a range of industries.
Primary data sources
- www.statistics.gov.uk - Free access to data sets including labour market (Labour Force Survey, Public Sector Employment etc).
- www.nomisweb.co.uk - Provides labour market statistics from official sources for local areas throughout the UK including the Annual Business Inquiry.
- www.hesa.ac.uk - The Higher Education Statistics Agency. Collects, analyses and disseminates data on higher education including the annual destinations survey.
Sources of general labour market information
- www.guidance-research.org/future-trends - Part of the Guidance Research Forum website. They provide comprehensive labour market information broken down by sector and region and delivered in the context of use in the careers guidance process. There are on-line training modules for guidance practitioners in using LMI.
- www.heacademy.ac.uk - The Higher Education Academy website resources section has downloadable reports on issues affecting the graduate labour market.
- www.cipd.co.uk - The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development produce Labour Market Outlook a quarterly LMI report.
- www.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ier - Warwick Institute for Employment Research. The Institute engages in labour market research at national, regional and local level with some European comparison studies.
- www.intute.ac.uk - Free online service giving access to a wide range of web- based international research including labour market research.
- www.agr.org.uk - The Association of Graduate Recruiters produces labour market reports concerning graduate employment which are free to members and available to purchase on-line for non members.
- www.prospects.ac.uk - What do graduates do? Prospects provide online information on the first destinations of graduates, broken down by subject and based on the HESA DLHE survey and produced by HECSU and AGCAS.
- www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers - Vitae Researcher Portal - information and guidance for doctoral students and research staff.
- www.unistats.com - Owned by HEFCE and managed by UCAS this is principally a comparison site for degree courses at universities throughout the UK; however, it does give graduate first destinations percentages broken down by course and institution.
- www.cbi.org.uk - The CBI produces a range of business and industry surveys which are available online to members. The annual Employment Trends Survey is available in hard copy from their online bookshop.
- Local Enterprise Partnerships - Details of Enterprise Zones, latest news from Enterprise Zones.
- www.lepnetwork.net - Local Enterprise Partnerships network - a gateway to news and information
Regional labour market information
- www.birminghameconomy.org.uk - General information and links to economic reports concerning the region.
- www.birmingham-chamber.com - Birmingham and Solihull Chambers of Commerce undertake a quarterly survey of manufacturing and services in the region which contributes to the nationwide report and is available online. Their official magazine Chamberlink is published ten times a year and includes information on key trends and developments in businesses across the region.
- www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business - Birmingham Post’s online business pages have a wealth of information regarding business and industry developments in the region.
Our online bookmarks
You can find more labour market resources on our Delicious account.
Not found what you're looking for? Ask us your careers related queries via Careers Connect.