Short-term Study Visas

Who can apply

This type of visa is normally suitable in the following circumstances:

  • You are at least 18 years of age; and

  • Your period of study within the UK will be completed within 6 months (if you are studying a short course); or within 11 months (if you are studying an English language course);

Please note: Short courses include:

    • students needing to come to the UK to re-sit an exam;

    • students returning to Birmingham following a leave of absence;

    • distance learning students that occasionally need to visit the UK; or

    • students enrolled on a course abroad that is the equivalent of a UK bachelor’s degree that wish to come to Birmingham for research or tuition (e.g. study abroad students)

If for any reason the Short-term Study Visa will not be suitable please read the information about applying for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa.

When to apply

If you are a visa national you will need to apply before you travel by completing the online application form

If you are a non-visa national intending to study for up to six months, then you can apply at the port of entry providing you have arrived from outside of the UK/ Republic of Ireland common area.

However, if you intend to study an English Language course for up to 11 months on a Student Visitor visa, then you will need to apply before you travel, even if you are a non-visa national.

How to apply

Read our information on how to apply for a Short-term Study Visa

Documents for your application

You need the to include the following in order to apply for entry clearance as a student visitor:

  • Your current passport as well as any previous passports you have used to travel to the UK
  • 1 passport sized colour photograph with your name written on the reverse
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months. This should include evidence of money to pay for: course fees, accommodation, daily subsistence (meals, etc), onward or return flights.
  • A ‘Short-term study Visa letter’ from the University of Birmingham which can be requested from the University admissions department if you are a new student or via Enquiry Services if you are a continuing student (for example returing to resit an exam).
  • If you want to do research or research tuition, you will have to provide evidence that you meet all the requirements
  • Translations of any documents that are not in English

Please see the UKCISA short-term study visa web page for detailed information on how to apply and the documents needed.

Find out more

If you would like any more information about Short-term study visas, please contact us.



Visa stampsIs this the best visa for you?

There are several visa options if you are studying in the UK. Find out more about visa options for study.