<< back to Handbook homepage

Salary Scales


Salary Costings

When writing a grant application you may be required to provide a salary costing with your application. 

To obtain a salary costing for your grant application please complete the attached request and send it to mdscosting@contacts.bham.ac.uk


Secure Email

Secure Email is an important element of the University’s Information Security initiative and provides a way to communicate information safely and effectively with others within the University. The Secure Email service allows sensitive information to be ‘protected when in transit’ using encryption in accordance with legal, government standards and contractual obligations.

More information on Security can be found by searching the University Policies located on the intranet. Access the following links for information.




University Security works in close partnership with West Midlands Police to ensure that Campus is "a safe place to study, work and visit". By using a strong communication network they are able to ensure that year on year crime is reduced. Contact details and further information on Campus Security can be found on their intranet pages.

UHB Trust buildings (Heritage building, Institute for Translational Medicine (ITM) and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital) The Trust security should be contacted on ext 777. For an emergency, please dial 119.
Birmingham Dental Hospital/Dental SchoolThe Birmingham Dental Hospital and School of Dentistry building operates a swipe card system. Any breach of security should be reported to the main desk x65300.
Main CampusThe main security office found on campus is located between R5 and R6 on the campus map. For non-emergencies, please dial extension 43000 (0121 414 3000 if dialling externally). For emergencies, please dial extension 44444 (0121 414 4444 if dialling externally).
Medical SchoolMedical School Security can be contacted on extension 45627 (0121 414 5627 if dialling externally)

Academic Department of Surgery

For the Academic Department of Surgery, the Trust security should be contacted on ext 777.

Dental School

The School of Dentistry building operates a swipe card system. Any breach of security should be reported to the main desk x65300.

Main Campus

The main security office found on campus is located between R5 and R6 on the campus map.

Medical School

Medical School Security can be contacted on extension 45627 (0121 414 5627 if dialing externally).

Shipping Hazardous Goods

See Transporting Hazardous Materials.

Sight Test

Any employee of the University who uses the computer a lot in their work has a right to request an eye sight test, but it is only free if agreed in advance by the Head of Budget Centre.

However, there are many reasons for difficulty in viewing a screen and they should all be identified and corrected in accordance with Health & Safety Unit guidlines

Single Source Approval Process

Any requisition over the value of £10,000 (exc. VAT) will require Single Source Approval.  All Single Source Approval requests will need to be assessed and approved by Procurement Services.  Please complete the form on the intranet located within Procurement Procedures.

The Buying Team, situated in Procurement will be handling all requisitions under the value of £10,000 ex VAT.  Requisitions under the value of £10,000 do not require Single Source Approval.

The SLA for responding to SSA requests will be 5 working days from receipt of the online SSA request form into the SSA inbox.

Staff Development

The University’s aim is to give every member of staff in the University the opportunity to achieve their full potential as a researcher, teacher, manager, administrator or specialist service supporter. Staff development at Birmingham is delivered through a number of specialist units and departments. Further information may be found on the Staff Development Website.


Banner Group is the University's supplier for all stationery requirements. Users of Science Warehouse on Core Systems are able to order some stationery items through Banner Group, with the authority of the grant account holder. 

Please do not purchase stationery from other companies and try to claim using an expense form. 

Please speak with your line manager as to the location of your local stationery cupboard.

Student Services Centre

The Student Services Centre is based in the main foyer of the Medical School building and is available to any student in the College during opening times from 9 am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The Student Services Centre offers a drop-in service to students seeking advice and guidance for a wide range of enquiries. In particular, their experienced staff focus on general welfare support and offer advice on reasonable adjustments, extenuating circumstances, authorised/planned absences and can arrange referrals to internal (e.g. Counselling, Disability Services & Occupational Health, Learning Support) and external support services. 

Generic queries should be sent to MDSstudentservicesdesk@contacts.bham.ac.uk and requests for appointments should be made via the following form.

Student Supervisory Meetings

All forms required for Supervisors are available on canvas - https://canvas.bham.ac.uk/courses/18749/pages/annual-progress-review. To view the forms, PGR supervisors need to be enrolled on the canvas course and should contact Cat Taylor (c.c.taylor@bham.ac.uk) for access.

Study Leave

Please refer to Human Resources website for information.

Summer Studentship

If a student wishes to undertake a summer project within an Institute, an application will need to be submitted to a funding body and pink form approval will be required, in line with the procedure for Research Grant Applications. Upon award of summer studentship, the correct procedure will need to be adhered to; this can be found here.

Any summer studentship payments to be made on a Fin-VS form.

<< back to Handbook homepage


Professional Services