<< back to Handbook homepage

VAT Number

The University has a VAT number GB729856187 and has the Inland Revenue charities reference number X7237.

Venue Birmingham

See Conferences and events.

Visa Assessments

See International Visitors.

Visitors (Academic)

A visitor is anyone coming to the University of Birmingham for any purpose (including but not limited to seminars, meetings, research, some PG study, conferences) who is not an enrolled student or contracted member of staff.

If you are due to host a visitor to UoB, for any reason at all, please ensure that the relevant visitor procedures are followed, for example, that international visits are checked via the visa assessment process (see International Visitors).

Procedure for administering visiting personnel


If an academic is expecting a visitor for a period of time (normally longer than 1 week), they will need to complete a Visiting Personnel Form and forward this to their Institute's dedicated administrator who will then sort out the necessary signatures and discuss any queries regarding the project with the academic.

If the visitor is here for up to a year, they may require registration as an Associate User. The Associate User form needs to be completed and returned to your designated Institute Administrator. This will enable the visitor to be issued with an ID number, an ID card and will allow access to a range of University Services.

Visitors (Student)

Summer studentships should be set up initially through the pink-form process (see Research Grant Approvals) in order for an account to be set up for their funding. 

<< back to Handbook homepage


Professional Services