This page tells you how to update your Canvas profile so that you can:
- edit and add a picture to your profile
- set up how you want to be notified about new announcements/changes to learning content etc.
You can access your Profile page from the Account tab in the far left-hand menu of Canvas.
A quick guide to managing your profile
All Canvas users have access to the profile area. This is where you can upload a profile picture, add a brief biography and interests, add some contact details and some links. To access your profile go to the Account tab on the Global Navigation menu, then select 'profile'.
We encourage you to get to know your fellow students and engage in the online learning community while studying at the University of Birmingham. You can choose how much information you wish to share on your profile and you are not required to share any personal information if you do not wish to.
Upload a profile picture
To update your profile:
- Click on the empty image box in the top left corner
- A dialogue box will open called Select Profile Picture
- Select the Upload a picture link and click Choose a picture
- Choose a file from your computer - make sure your profile image is appropriate and professional
- Once you have cropped your image, select Save
Remember that your profile can be viewed by your fellow students and by your faculty, tutors, the Programme Director and by Canvas administrators.
Edit your profile
When uploading your profile picture and updating your profile, please ensure that you do not share any inappropriate images, or images which may cause offence to other members of your online learning community.
Canvas Community guide: How do I add a profile picture in my user account as a student? (Links to an external site.)
Staying in your Profile page, select the Edit Profile button from the right-hand side. Please edit the following sections, ensuring that you save (using the blue Save Profile button at the bottom of the page) before leaving the page:
- Bio: Add some details about the programme you are taking, your professional background and the country where you are based. You can also add information about your interests and hobbies. Remember that your profile can be seen by all the students on your programme so don't share any information (such as your home address) that you don't wish to be made public.
- Links: If you have a website or would like to add links to your social media sites (such as LinkedIn), you can add these here.
Canvas Community guide: How do I edit my profile in my user account as a student
Update your notifications and user settings
Further details on Canvas and its functions can be found by watching this video.
- Notifications and updates will be sent to your University of Birmingham email address which you are encouraged to check regularly. If you would like to add an additional email address, you can do so. Follow the directions in the Canvas Guide: Adding an additional email address.
- The default notification settings mean that you will receive daily digest emails with information about discussion forums and immediate emails about announcements and grades. You can adjust your notification preferences to be more or less frequent. Please review directions in the Canvas Guide.
Step-by-step instructions are available from the Canvas Guide.
Navigate to your profile page and update it, adding a profile picture and information about yourself if you wish.
Ensure that your notification settings are set up as you would like them to be.