Open access increases the impact of scholarly research by supporting free and permanent online access to research outputs.
Benefits of open access
- Enable authors to disseminate their work to the widest possible audience
- Make publicly funded work available to the public
- Increase visibility and citations for research outputs
- Ensure the preservation and longevity of materials in institutional repositories
- Open Access Citation Advantage: an annotated bibliography
REF and open access
The UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) requires all published articles and proceedings submitted to REF 2021 to be made available as open access.
Funders and open access
Many funders now require funded published outputs, such as journal articles and proceedings, to be made open access.
More information about open access
Deposit to Pure
Deposit to Pure to self-archive your accepted final manuscript in the University repository (UBIRA). Meet University, funder and REF requirements with Green open access.
APC Request Form
Apply for central funding to pay publisher article processing charges (Gold open access).
Email: Scholarly Communications Services
Telephone: +44 (0)121 414 3918