Changing course

Support for deciding if you would like to change course and how to change if necessary. 

Deciding whether to change course

Changing course is a big step to take. You should always talk it through with someone to make sure that you are making the best decision for you, and that it is possible given time and course constraints.

Your supervisor (postgraduate researchers)

If you are thinking of upgrading or downgrading your research qualification, you will need to speak to your supervisor. They will ensure that you follow the process in your School or Department for changing research programme.

If you feel unable to talk to your supervisor, you should discuss your situation with your mentor or contact the PGR Academic Lead or PGR administrator in your School/College.

Personal or welfare tutor (undergraduate and postgraduate taught)

Your personal or welfare tutor should be your first point of contact if you are thinking of changing your course. They can talk through your options with you and if necessary refer you to the appropriate departments in the University.

Guild Advice

You may wish to talk to an independent advisor when you are considering changing course. Advisors at Guild Advice can help you think about whether changing course is right for you and the implications of such a change.

International Students

If you are an international student who requires a visa to study in the UK, you are advised to contact the International Student Team as changing courses may affect your visa.

Student Mentor Scheme

The Student Mentor Scheme (Guild of Students) provides advice and guidance to all students living in university accommodation. If you are experiencing concerns about your academic course, the scheme provides a safe, confidential and non-judgemental space to discuss them. The scheme can also signpost you to other services should you require further support.

Careers Network

Specialist advisers at the Careers Network can help you to consider your options and make an informed decision about your course.

Admissions Tutor for the course you wish to join (undergraduates and postgraduate taught students only)

If you know what course you wish to change to, you should contact the Admissions Tutor for that course to find out whether it is possible for you to transfer. You can get contacts for admissions tutors from the University prospectus.

When you can change course

Undergraduate and postgraduate taught students

You should apply to change course as early as you can in the academic year. If you apply after the first two weeks of term, there may be extra conditions you need to satisfy before you can transfer onto the new programme. You may also be asked to defer your entry to the new course to the next academic year. You should check with the Admissions Tutor in the School or Department to find out if this is the case.

Postgraduate research students

You should talk to your supervisor, or PGR Academic Lead or the PGR administrator in your School/College about when you can make any necessary changes.

How to transfer

Undergraduate and postgraduate taught students

If you do decide to change course, you will need to complete a Transfer of Degree Programme Form which you can get online or from the Student Information Team.

The Student Information Team can also give you administrative support and advice on a range of matters relating to course change, such as leave of absence and fee implications.

Postgraduate researchers

Information on the administrative processes and the form that will need to be completed by your School can be found online.



Professional Services