Details of the Research Group – College, School/institute/collaborators
- A short summary of the academic case – the nature of the research, the funder, goals and expectations, timespan of the project
- Compute resource required
a) An explanation of the compute/data intensive nature of the work
b) Virtual Machines: Refer to the Standard VM page for details of the current cloud offerings.
c) BlueBEAR CaStLeS QOS: CaStLeS have purchased significant dedicated resources in BlueBEAR for powerful batch computing. Refer to the CaStLeS QOS page for details.
- Storage resource required – how many TBs and whether data must be replicated between data centres (to maximize availability) or single sited (cheaper but with more susceptible to interruptions). If you are dealing with sensitive data that has specific requirements e.g. for encryption, make this clear. Unless you specify, the default assumption is that data holdings are NOT sensitive
- Applications required
- Identify the individuals who are to have access to the resource (UoB usernames are required for validation)
- Timescales - CaStLeS resources are in place so, once approved, can be set up with only a short lead-time. However, note that research groups are expected to include the costs in funding bids and contribute accordingly.
Before the resources are provisioned, the CaStLeS Exec must approve the resource request and Advanced Research Computing will complete a technical review to pick up any technical obstacles or queries. Once in service, utilization will be monitored and adjustments made to ensure the facility is operating efficiently.