Reporting incidents to Police can make a difference

Early this month there was a report of a robbery in Selly Oak.  As the incident was immediately brought to attention of the Police they were able to take action and apprehend two suspects.

When the Police know about an incident they can act to prevent crime and work with the community to make your area a safer place.

While social media can be a great way to keep each other informed about what is happening in your neighbourhood please also report incidents to the Police. It really can make a difference.

How to report an incident

  • Report incidents such as theft and property or vehicle damage to Police online
  • For other non-emergencies you can call the Police on 101.
  • Always call 999 if it is an emergency and someone is in immediate danger.

The Crime Prevention Hub is in University Centre next to the Spar, where you can go for advice from West Midlands Police and University Security. In the autumn, the University will also be launching a new drop-in conjunction with Police at the Community Hub (near the Bournbrook entrance to campus) to discuss your concerns and crime prevention – look out for details.

Support available to you

  • If you are on campus or in University halls of residence you can contact Security staff 24/7 on 0121 414 4444 (emergencies) and 0121 414 3000 (non-emergencies).
  • The Security Office is located in the courtyard behind the Great Hall just off the Ring Road South (between R5 and R6 on the campus map) and is staffed 24/7. 
  • If you live in private accommodation Community Wardens can provide advice on home safety and security. 
  • You can report incidents of sexual assault via the University’s You Report, We Support service. Trained staff can talk you through your options and direct you to appropriate services. 
  • Student Support offer drop-in sessions to discuss your wellbeing.
  • Guild Advice also provide practical advice and support. 


Professional Services