'Gold' open access journals
You can pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) to publish in a journal that is fully open access and has no subscription fees – this is one of the 'gold' routes to open access.
Subscription ‘hybrid’ journals
You can pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) to publish an individual paper as open access in a journal that otherwise restricts access to subscribers - this is the hybrid 'gold' open access route.
If your funding agency requires open access to your publications, this route may allow you to publish in a journal that is otherwise restricted.
However, you may find that the same publisher also permits a 'green' OA route allowing you to self-archive compliantly for free.
To go 'gold':
You may be entitled to apply for central University to cover APC costs.
- If your research is not funded and you wish to publish in a fully open access journal, you may be able to apply for our Internal Open Access Fund. You should make an application before submitting your paper, using this form.
- If your research is funded, and you wish to publish in a fully open access or hybrid journal, you may be able to apply to use one of our central Open Access block grants, or make other arrangements directly with your funder - see our funder open access pages to check whether this is an option.
- Provisos on the use of the budget are:
- It must be a peer-reviewed research article (as opposed to a review or letter etc)
- The output should usually be published with a Creative Commons Attribution Licence (CC-BY). More information on CC licences can be found on our copyright pages.
- The University of Birmingham must be acknowledged or given as the institutional affiliation.
- Any grants must be acknowledged in the article as the funder.
- On publication, you are encouraged by the University to deposit a copy of the final PDF of your 'gold' OA publication into the University of Birmingham Research Archive (UBIRA), using Pure.
Publisher membership schemes
We have a number of institutional membership schemes with publishers to make the 'gold' open access process easier for our authors.
When your article is accepted, your chosen publisher may notify you of our membership.